Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pine seed and maple germination...

Posted by ryan_tree 7a (brendathompson1963@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Nov 21, 08 at 18:09

Hello all, I have fresh Japanese Black and White Pine seeds and also Trident Maple seeds, and I was wondering how to go about gerimating these seeds. Anyone have any advice??

I also have bald cypress seeds I would love to try to germinate if anyone could help me with those....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pine seed and maple germination...

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 21, 08 at 20:02

Pinus parviflora , Japanese White Pine , sow 3 months moist cold @ 39F, move to 70F for germination.

Pinus thunbergii, Japanese Black Pine, sow 2-3 months moist cold, move to 70F for germination. Very fresh seeds may germinate quickly.

Acer buergerianum , Trident Maple , sow moist cold @ 39F for germination in 6 to 8 weeks - watch these, they may germinate at cool temperatures before you remember to bring them out to warm

Taxodium distichum, Bald Cypress, pour very hot water over seeds (just short of boiling) to help remove resin coating prohibiting water from breaching the seed. Moist cold 39F 60 days, then bring to warm.

All of these could be sown and placed outdoors now in your zone and exposed to a range of temperatures for Spring germination.

o
RE: Pine seed and maple germination...

Be sure to check out the Tree Forum here too. They have a bunch of great FAQ's and discussion tips there about growing many different varieties from seed.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Forum - Growing from Seed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here