Houzz Logo Print
clbrickhouse

Seed starting on these vines

clbrickhouse
17 years ago

Coral vine

Passiflora Maypop and incarnata (same)?

Pandorea jasminodes vine

Mexican flame vine (do these seeds look like little sticks kinda like gerbers..lots of fluff included also.

evening fragrance jasmine

nonfragrant snail vine

Dunanta geisha girl

yellow trumpet vine

kiss me over the garden gate (is this a vine or just tall?)

If you have had any experience with these please let me know. Would love to hear from ya!

Comments (6)

• pennys2006
    17 years ago

hi dont spose my advice is any good to youas we live in completely different countrys but i find that passiflora seeds dont like to be to hot as they just seem to get to cosy and do nothing i sow in a smalltray cover very well and leave at around 25.c normally they germinate within 14 days i germinated about 80% of mine o and i did pre-soak the seeds first only over night now most of them have true leaves i hope you have as much success as i did,Penz

• gw:judy-hebe
    17 years ago

Only started Passiflora caerulea from seed. And yes, maypop is P. incarnata. I've read that Passiflora seeds should be germinated fairly soon after harvesting & if left too long, they tend to enter dormancy.

I germinated mine much warmer than Penz did & provided soil temperature about 25-30 C (78-85 F). They seem to like the warmth & germinated quickly in about a week. Cover them with about 1 inch planting media & keep moist. If you plant them too shallow, they'll sprout but the seed coat will tend to stay on. Give them time to send their 1st roots down & by pushing up through the soil, the softened seed coat is helped off.

Sorry I have no experience with starting the others from seeds.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

I have done orange trumpet vine using the winter sowing method last year. The seeds sprouted in spring and the vine grew over ten ft. tall. I sowed the seeds in 3 inch pots of moistened soil in Jan. or Feb. I covered the containers with cleasr plastic with holes for aspiration. Put the containers outside and just waited for them to germinate.

Penny

• clbrickhouse
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info so far guys! Anymore experience is good to know!

• msbatt
    17 years ago

Passiflora incarnata seeds will sprout better if you soak them in some orange juice for several days before planting, OR leave them in the original pod and allow it to rot around them. Has something to do with breaking dormancy. You can also winter sow these---that's how Mother Nature does it around here. (*grin*)

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I've started P violetta and P amethystina in moist potting mix on a very warm seed mat. It took about 2 weeks for the first seeds to emerge and they are still coming up. I planted the seeds within days of harvesting the fruit. I have the rest stored in moist sand.
    Karyn