Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike423

Tropical seeds shipped in winter.

mike423
13 years ago

Hi everyone, I was just think the other day and wondered, if I was to buy seeds to a Tropical plant in winter and have them shipped to my house, would the cold damage the seeds or affect the germination rate in any way? I would figure that they'd be unaffected since they are inactive and dormant, but thought it would be interesting to see if anyone knew for sure.

-Mike

Comments (11)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I would say as long as they are dry they will be unaffected.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Mike, an interesting question, I had some time to look into it a little this morning.

I'm going to guess you're wondering about temperatures experienced in shipping, or even in your mail on a porch for a sub-freezing day. There doesn't seem to be a 'one size fits all' answer. "Tropical seeds" encompasses plants growing in such varying climates - if the moisture content of the seed not too high, many would be fine frozen but there are plenty of exceptions. Some of the tropical fruits, palms, tropical lilies are some I find that could have the seed embryo damaged at below freezing temperatures. Without looking up and researching specific seeds you'd like to order, there doesn't seem to be a good way to answer your question.

OT - things I have rec'd damaged from cold over the years, occurring in between the source and my address, not at either end: live plants, whole fruit, cosmetics.

• ifraser25
    13 years ago

Despite what anyone may say, it's inadvisable to buy any tropical seed by mail order in a cold area during the winter months. Postal services are frequently subject to delays and there is often no cold protection for sensitive items. If your supplier is good they will understand your request to wait until spring.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I have recieved by purchase and trade annual and tropical seeds during winter months. As a matter of fact there is several swaps going on right now that have been going on for years. They don't just limit their trades to perennials or hardy seeds. Now do you really think they would continue to do these swaps and trades if the seeds would be damaged??

Back to my first statement, as long as the seed is dry it should be unaffected. Plus to many companies offer great sales at this time to pass up.

Live plants, water based!! Cosmetics, oil based!! Fruit, water based!!!

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Another reiterartion, my father has always grown his vegetable garden from seed since I was tiny. He would always have extra seed, the extra seed he would store in his freezer not fridge but freezer. I have stored tons of seed in my freezer, flowers, vegetables and so on. I had AWESOME germination rates, so good that I had to find homes for the seedlings, and yes some were annuals. I believe I had stored the seed for at least 3 years. ;)

The key is that they were dry.

13 years ago

Carolyn, the way these forums work is input is welcome from any direction. The original poster with the question can make their own determination on what information they chose to absorb - it isn't necessary to feel defensive about every post but your own since responses are directed to him, not to you.

OT = Off Topic. I knew my musings on things I had rec'd cold damaged were off topic from the question at hand, meant for them to be only mildly interesting :) I understood that live plants won't necessarily travel as well as most/some seed.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I gave back up for my original statement. Sorry if I discredit your rebuttle!!

13 years ago

That was my point and you've missed it. The information I tried to provide to Mike was not meant to be in disagreement with anyone else's, was not in response to your input, and was in no way a 'rebuttal'. Did this become a debate somehow? It was simply information I found interesting and wanted to share with him. Him.

Interesting because it had to do with propagation, not because I am overly interested in tropicals. I find most look startling out of place in evergreen forested coastal washington, even though there are a few (i.e.) palms and bananas hardy enough to survive here.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

LOL, that is one thing I hate about that device I was on, no spell check, ugh!!

Anywho, morz you do it to me all the time. Today was not the first instance of it and I am sure it will not be the last. You have hit so many threads after I posted at one time I seriously was wondering if you were doing searches by my name just so you can "rebuttal" (LOL) them.

I felt as if I needed to give an explanation to why I said what I said. If you choose to disagree with what I said that is your right. I just felt since everyone else was getting technical and trying to make it something difficult, I would tell my EXPERIENCE to why I came to that conclusion. Whether it is to discredit you or not is not the main reason, but I would only be fibbing if I was to say it wasn't part of it.

I hold a grudge against you morz and until you apologize I probably will continue to hold it. Who are you to tell anyone they need to go read the faq's because YOU THINK they are new to growing?? FYI I am not!!

Oh by the way here is a little history on me, not like it would really matter. My grandfather was a share cropper who saved seed. My great grand mother was a full blooded indian who taught my grandfather who in return taught my father who in return taught me and I am already teaching my kids. Seed saving, seed collecting, growing from seed has been a part of my families life for generation after generation for their main survival.

This is what I suggest morz, put down the computer and go actually get the experience. Then come back and tell us how many things differentiate with what you READ.

Sorry to the op for posting this here, if morz had his email showing I would of happily emailed this to him.

13 years ago

Your hat is on WAY too tight. You have just suggested something so absurd I couldn't even begin to address it.

If I've participated in a thread where you have posted, totally coincidental and no different than I've done hundreds of times. One last time....I responded to Mike. His question piqued an interest. It had nothing at all to do with you. I don't know you, but will suggest you find something real to defend yourself against.

I do apologize to Mike, I see he has his thread marked mail copy to original poster and I'm sure is not happy to be finding this trivia in his emails.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

In other words you insult that many that you can't recall the incident I mentioned?? (not looking for an answer I got it in the previous post)

Lol, your not worth it morz!!!

Garden web I sure wished you had the option to ignore a user!!