Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pacojam

certified organic seeds

pacojam
13 years ago

I started to put the list of organic and heirloom seeds I will order shortly. I saw some seeds listed as USDA certified organic seeds, OG certified organic seeds and organic seeds. I am wondering about how valid is these seed certification label and what qualified as certified organic seeds.

I am also beginning to question if the heirloom seeds are heirlooms. If I am paying extra for certified organic seeds, why so much doubt?

Where is the best places to order certified organic?

Comments (5)

• yiorges-z5il
    13 years ago

Heirloom s are plants(vegatibles +)have been grown from antiquity, the seed were brought to America by people to reamber there homeland/parents/friends.,
    heirlooms does not equal to organis.
    as to the remainder of your questions there is another forum "organic gardening" they will have the answers

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

yiorges,

Heirloom s are plants(vegatibles +)have been grown from antiquity, the seed were brought to America by people to reamber there homeland/parents/friends.,

Not even remotely right. Siletz, for instance, was developed by Dr. Bagett from Oregon State 40 years ago (or so) and is considered an heirloom. Legend, a breed he developed a few year later, is not.

Heirlooms are more a plant that produces the same fruit, from the same seed year after year.

To the OP - from all I've read and been able to learn, whether a seed or the produce from a plant can be called organic depends on the state's rules. I'm in Ohio and to be able to sell food labeled "organically grown" I have to go through a 3-year process, provide documentation and perhaps suffer an on-site inspection. All of which are useless in proving me seeds or fruits are organic. I can use chemical ferts or 'cides and no one will know the difference, unless they want to do a tissue analysis.

If you want to go the organic route, I would look for suppliers who have been doing it for years and years.

FWIW, I don't know if one needs to buy organic seeds to claim the produce is organic - it's not necessary in my state.

Mike

• yiorges-z5il
    13 years ago

I was not going to answer "wordwiz" But finally decided to. (1) I based my defination of heirloom on the following books A> Heirloom vegetable gardening by William Woys Weaver B> Heirloom vegetables by Benjamine Watson C>Heirloom Vegetables By Sue Strickland & D> (My Favorite) A garden Primer Central Illinois circa 1830 by George L. Lang\
    (2)Heirlooms are open polinated but not all open polinated vegs are Heirlooms
    (3)MOST if not All heirloom's are... open polinated historic, regional, ethnic vegetables/fruits
    there are heirloom plants , heirloom's crosed with other heirloom's and/or modern plants, hybrids, modern open polinated
    (4)Since there is no ONE defination of Heirloom accepted by all people neither of us is wrong and he is not 100% right

• aquawise
    13 years ago

certified organic~~~ Means the seeds came from plants the were grown without the use of chemical of any kind. Some guidlines are below.
    # avoidance of synthetic chemical inputs "fertilizer, pesticides, antibiotics, food additives, etc>, genetically modified organisms, irradiation, and the use of Human sewage sludge.
    # use of farmland that has been free from synthetic chemicals for a number of years (often, three or more);

Heirlooms~~~ Are cultivar's that were commonly grown during earlier periods in human history, but which are not used in modern large-scale agriculture. Many heirloom vegetables have kept their traits through open pollination, while fruit varieties such as apples have been propagated over the centuries through grafts and cuttings.

• WinstonL
    11 years ago

Hi y'all...I work with an organic seed company (All Good Things Organic Seeds) and thought I'd chime in to help clear up some seed terminology!

Heirloom: Yiorges, you're right...there is NO agreed-upon definition for 'heirloom.' My favorite so far is 'a variety with a name, a place, and a story.' Basically, a variety that has been saved for certain characteristics (color, shape, flavor) for some period of time...typically, for many generations.

Organic: Seeds labeled 'organic' ('certified organic,' 'usda organic,' or just 'organic') were produced from plants grown on certified organic farms. The main advantage of organic seeds is that they have been adapted to the growing conditions in which they were produced � organic conditions. The opposite is also true: non-organic seeds are adapted to the synthetic fertilizer/pesticide conditions in which they were produced. If you have an organic garden, you will typically have better results from organic seeds. The other bonus of buying organic seeds is that you are supporting organic agriculture.

Suggested companies selling organic seeds: http://www.seedalliance.org/Seed_Companies_Selling_Organic_Seed/

Hope this clears things up a little :)

Winston