Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing maples from seed (Japanese & other)

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 22:30

I just ordered some seeds from Sheffield's Seeds for:

Acer palmatum
Acer shirasawanum
Acer japonicum
Acer nigrum

The three "Japanese" types are "fresh" seed, from fall, 2013, as opposed to dry older seed, per Sheffield's, and per the website only need 12 hours soaking then 120 days stratification.

The Acer nigrums are from 2012, & I worry about their viability, but Sheffield's says germination should be over 90%. For these they recommend a 24 hour soak, then 90 days stratification...

Can anyone comment on this? For the first three, is 120 days right? That's four months stratification - seems long.

For the A. nigrum - am I likely to get decent germination rates from these 1 year old seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing maples from seed (Japanese & other)

"Can anyone comment on this?"

I'm not sure what you want to know. Sheffield's provides instructions for each type of seed. If you want a second or third opinion, just google the scientific name of the particular plant along with the word germination. Chances are that you'll be able to find multiple sources of info. You can also directly check these sources:

The Seed Site
Backyard Gardener Seed Germination Database
Ontario Rock Garden & Hardy Plant Society Seed Germination Guide
Tom Clothier's Germination Database
B&T World Seeds Database

"For the first three, is 120 days right? That's four months stratification - seems long."

Lots of seed types need extended stratification periods. I'd go with the recommendations of those that have done the research.

"For the A. nigrum - am I likely to get decent germination rates from these 1 year old seeds?"

Sheffield's rates don't always reflect the germination rates you will achieve. They represent what they believe could be achieved, in ideal conditions, based on their viability tests of that seed lot. Acer seeds are notoriously more difficult to germinate than many "easy" types of seeds, so results will depend on how well you can give the seeds the conditions they need (especially including proper stratification).

Brandon7

This post was edited by brandon7 on Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 22:13

o
RE: Growing maples from seed (Japanese & other)

Thanks.

It's funny they're considered difficult, since the seedlings pop up where I DON'T want them without any difficulty at all...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here