Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riograndegal

Seeds in vinegar germinated

riograndegal
13 years ago

A few weeks ago I was going through some of the forums and came across a post regarding starting seeds from a pickled pepper. Well a few years ago I had several sweet cherry pepper plants and one of the hurricanes blew them away pot and all. Since we were away I couldn't even try to save them. Well I had a real hard time finding seeds again even on the seed exchange. all I found were the hot ones. While at Mr. Gatties one day with the kids I decided to bring home one of the peppers from the salad bar and as always forgot all about it until someone mentioned it. Well guess what, I have oodles of seedlings that have come up. So yes to that person who was wondering if they germinate after being in vinegar. Thanks, Josie

Here is a link that might be useful: Josie's exchange page

Comments (9)

• yiorges-z5il
    13 years ago

your results are interisting BUT I do not entend to use vinegar to aid in germination of my seed.
    Vinegar IF applied to foliage will kill the leaf & possible the plant.
    Yes some seed need to be soaked in a acid but use sulfuric acid not vinegar

• riograndegal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yioges, I do not soak or add vinegar to my seeds to aid in germination. what I was trying to say was that I was simply running an experiment on some seeds I got off a pickled pepper from a pizza place. This was after reading someone else's post on the same curiosity. I also wondered if they would germinate from pickled peppers, and I just happen to have good results, but no, like you I have no intention of using vinegar to aide in seed germination. Although if someone told me that vinegar helped I would probably experiment with some seeds from say the dollar store. I am always ready to try new things cause ya never know. Like using sulfuric acid soak for some seeds, I did not know that, thanks for that info, but I wonder what kind seeds need that. I have had some seeds that no matter what Ido just won't germinate, who knows maye that's the trick. Thanks, I totally appreciate tht tip, Josie

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

You will have to let us know how the fruits turn out. I was just thinking about trying this with a hot pepper pod I found in some General Tso's chicken. What got me to thinking like you is this summer I soaked, preboiled, then cooked some beans. Some kids from the party took some of them and planted them in my random pots around the property, a week later I got green healthy plants, I didn't see them off to produce seeds. I couldn't believe that after all that cooking they germinated.

• riograndegal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok so here is my first update on my pickled peppers. They are doing great as of now. I don't know how the vinegar will effect as they grow but I hope to at least get one good plant because I really love this peppers. And as I said before, they are not being water with the vinegar but rather were seeds from a pickled pepper so I feel that if they germinated then they should have no problems vinegar related. Josie
    {{gwi:254515}}

• kayjones
    13 years ago

I have used vinegar to quickly germinate seeds - it works!

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

Vinegar won't effect their growth, if anything, its acid was mild enough to do a little scarification. Now you have to get them through the winter in a cool and sunny window--turn the pot every few days so the stems grow straight. Harden off in the spring and then out into the garden they go.

Good for you!

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    13 years ago

North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service Overcoming Seed Dormancy: Trees and Shrubs Vinegar is safer (but less effective treatment) and can be used for species that do not have an extremely hard seed coat; the technique is the same as with sulfuric acid.

• riograndegal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wonderful news kayjones, Trudi and Albert. Trudi our winters are so mild here it's like spring most of the winter. We have had one cold day so far I guess average around the valley got down to 36 or so. Next day it was in the 70's. This is the time of year I start many seeds in small styrofoam cups so I can easily bring inside incase of really cold weather. Right now I have 13 differant peppers, 8 kinds of basils, amaranthus, blue bonnets, marigolds, etc..that have all been started from seeds. They are all just waiting to go into the garden beds. I also have all sorts of tropical hibiscus and the bouganvillas I am rooting for the first time. The begonias and angel trumpets are all doing fantastic with lots of new growth. I would love to know what everyone is growing.