Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eddiebuck

Plants Falling Over!!!!!!!!!

eddiebuck
14 years ago

"HELP"I have always had a problem with my collard and cabbage plants I grow in trays.When they get about four inches high,they start leaning over and by the time they are ready to transplant out,they are a tangled mess.

Nice plants,but are "Z" shaped and a bugger to seperate and plant straight.I was thinking maybe not enough light,but those I start in the sunshine in trays does it too,as does those started in the soil inside my coldframe.Also they don't all lean the same way,as if searching for light.Could "damping off"cause it,and not kill the plants?

Anybody have an idea what I'm doing wrong?? Thanks, Eddie

Comments (13)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Plants will always lean toward the light, but it sounds like yours are top heavy. Plants in containers sprout just below the soil and don't have strong enough roots yet to hold the plantsupright. Also watering may wash away some of the soil.

When you plant them out do they stay straight? Do you set them out at the same height or deeper? Maybe all you have to do is add a bit more soil around the roots. If that doesn't work then give them something to lean against. A popscicle stick works as a small stake.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

It sounds to me like they just aren't getting enough light. I use T5 fluorescent tubes for starting seeds because they can be placed very close to the plants. I also keep a fan running on low nearby.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Agree. Classic sign of insufficient light. Need more artificial lights and keep them less than 1-2 inches from the plant tops. With an adequate light set up it is easy to grow strong, compact seedlings. Without one it is nigh on to impossible unfortunately. There is a good FAQ here on how to set up a good light set-up.

Dave

• eddiebuck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

karyn1 and digdirt.....Lack of Light,thats what I had thought,until I sowed some trays and coldframe thats in the sun all day.They were the same,some leaning one way and some the other.
    oilpainter.....Top heavy is what it seems to be.If the plants are leaning from lack of light,it would seem they would lean the same way.I think I will sprinkle a little more potting soil around their bases this year and see if that will keep them straight.They do fine once transplanted,but planting "Z"shapped stems is a pain LOL.Thanks everyone,I'll let you know how they do this spring. Thanks Again
    Eddie

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Eddie - you are assuming that full sun exposure would be sufficient for short stocky transplants. And depending on what your cold frame is made out of (how much intensity and spectrum it reduces), in June and July that would be true.

But unless you live in the southern hemisphere that just isn't true for this time of year. Even in the greenhouse supplemental lighting is required this time of year to prevent leggy, leaning, weak stemmed transplants. Not only is the # of hours of sun exposure right now insufficient but so is the spectrum, the intensity, and the angle. ;)

Dave

• rnbwgrl
    14 years ago

Yup deffinitely inadequate light.

Also keep in mind in the northern states even all day sun is not very intense due to the angle of the light coming through the atmosphere, so therefore not as warm and not as usefull for growing from seed...

Mel

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

It may be insufficient light or maybe not. That is one cause but not the only one. The Op did not say they were leggy and that is a classic symptom of insufficient light. They get leggy and then fall over.

Watering from the top and washing the soil off of tiny plants with tiny roots will cause plants to fall over too. I always water seedlings from the bottom and have put extra soil around the roots occasionally when plants fall over in my greenhouse

• eddiebuck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mel,not enough light seems to be the problem alright,thanks.

oilpainter,I have even used Styrofoam trays setting on capillary mat and have the same problem and never watered from the top.
    Thanks everyone for showing me the "LIGHT" lol eddie

• dickiefickle
    14 years ago

Use a fan as soon as they get 1/2 inch tall or so ,it will help strenghthen the stems ,a couple hours a day should help,

• eddiebuck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

dickiefickle,that sounds like it will help also.
    will do. thanks,
    eddie

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Make sure that you use fluorescent bulbs. T5 lighting is best for seedlings but it's not necessary to invest that kind of money for a few trays. Fluorescent lights can be placed so they are almost touching the seedlings as they don't give off heat. I use HID MH and HPS lights for mature plants. I also use fluorescents in the greenhouse. A fan on a low setting will keep the air circulating and cut down on diseases.

• Deborah lippitt
    6 years ago

Depending on the size..it can also be lodging..insufficient potassium. Especially when they are taller.