Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Celosia won't grow

Posted by summervin Singapore (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 4:17

Hi,

I am new in gardening. I am taking over the baton from my dad as he is getting older and not very mobile to do gardening anymore.

First off, I am living in Singapore and I suppose the humidity is right for most gardening. I planted a few Celosia(Cockscomb) seeds and it germinated. Initially I wasn't sure how long should I transplant it into a larger space so I waited till 40-50 days after planting in the seeds. I managed to keep it alive until now it is almost 70 days but it just doesn't grow any taller.

It has 2 leaves(one set) just like any seedlings and I noticed 2 of it started to have 4 leaves. I wonder what has happened to it that it grow so slow. I watered it to make sure it is moist but not wet. Can anyone expert advice on this? Thank you very much..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Celosia won't grow

Hi summervin and welcome to GardenWeb!

Sorry to hear you’re having problems with the celosia. Actually, it’s hard to offer any suggestions because there are just so many possibilities and you have given so little information :-) Are these plants something you started inside? Under lights or in a window? Or did you start them outside? Where are the plants now? Have you fertilized at all and with what? Are they getting plenty of sun?

I’ve grown celosia for years, starting them inside under lights in very late winter. They have always been very fast growers. The only mistake I made (first time I grew them) was to move them outside too early. Celosia can not stand cold weather, they love the heat. If put outside too early they take forever to recover (if at all).

If you could explain in more detail, maybe someone will have some ideas that may be helpful. Personally, there just is not enough information here to even give me a clue.

Art

o
RE: Celosia won't grow

What are the seeds planted in? Soil? Indoors or outdoors? Containers or in ground? What is the source of water and nutrients? What is the temperature day and night? Is it possible an animal is eating the tops off the plants?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here