Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lupin seedling care and development

Posted by watko001 none (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 16, 11 at 6:23

I'm growing lupin from seed from my own garden - they germinate startlingly quickly without scarification or soaking, weird! Most have produced their third true leaves but the first two true leaves are withering/dying. I was just wondering if that's normal. I would have assumed they'd keep all the true leaves for photosynthesis as all my other seedlings do. Any help greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lupin seedling care and development

Hi watko and welcome to the GardenWeb. I saw your post early this morning but was hesitant to answer because I know nothing about the Lupin plant :-) However, since you still haven't gotten any answers, I will suggest a couple of common things that might cause the problem your experiencing with your Lupin.

First of all, I doubt that it's normal for that plant to lose it's lower leaves while so small. Over-watering, not enough light, and too much heat are just a few possible causes. Without knowing more about your soil type, lighting, temperature, humidity etc. it would be hard for anyone to offer really good solid suggestions (which may be why you're not getting more answers to your post).

Hope someone who knows more about that plant comes along soon. Meanwhile, make sure you don't over-water the Lupin.

Art

o

I grow Lupin every year and have not noted the problem you are having. For me there has never been anything difficult with starting Lupin from seeds, my own saved or purchased. For purchased seed I always soak in hot water first, for my own fresh seed this is not necessary. Al

o

I grew all my plants via winter sowing--set the seed in a recycled milk jug with plenty of moist growers mix, stick in a label, tape the jug shut and set it out in the cold. Seeds will germinate around mid-March; plants will bloom second year. None of my winter sown lupines lost their true leaves after planting out or potting up except when they went dormant for the cold weather.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here