Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprout seeds from Potpourri?

Posted by mccommas z5CT (johnray67@hotmail.com) on
Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 9:08

Mission impossible? I bought some odd looking seed pods from an Estate Sale that were in a 70's style candy dish. I was only after the seeds. I might put the dish on eBay.

Well not only were these poor seed pods soaked with chemicals to make them smell pretty, God only knows how long there were in storage for. Undeterred, I put some in the fridge using the plastic bag and wet paper towel method but they got accidently thrown out :(

The rest of them -- hundreds and hundreds of them -- I planted outside in the raised bed Connecticut) for winter sowing.

They have been out there about a month now. The seed pods at first looked like berries to me. They were super brittle and they shattered when I squeezed them. They were also a little sticky. I eventually guessed that they were probably rose hips. I have grown rose from fresh seed before and they seem consistent with rose seeds. If they are not rosehips I don�t know what the heck they are.

Think I will get anything? Anyone ever tried anything like this? Rose seeds are hard to sprout as it is but like I said, I had probably a 1000 seeds.

Yes, its winter and I am bored.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprout seeds from Potpourri?

Well it sure doesn't hurt to try but I'd be really surprised. The poor embryos in those seeds are so old and have been so abused that the odds of their survival are slim - very slim.

Good luck.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here