Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a pot be too large for a seedling?

Posted by josko Cape Cod (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 8, 09 at 9:25

Is there a downside to planting a few (say, pepper) seeds in a 12" pot as opposed to starting them in a flat and transplanting several times up to the 12" size? Let's assume the end goal is to grow the plant in a 12' pot.
I've read somewhere that a pot can be 'too large' for a seedling.
Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a pot be too large for a seedling?

So glad you asked this. It is a question I've wondered about, too. Will be watching for answers to your question.

Mary

o

A qualified yes.... there is extra soil to hold water & this can cause root rot... solution depay watering untill soil is damp not wet

o

The problem is not the size of the pot but that many soils sold for potting are too moisture retentive and depend on the transpiration and evaporation to remove water from the soil. Much information is available on the container growing site to solve this problem. Al

o

As mentioned above it's usually the soil thats the problem not the container size. Seedlings have very fine roots and can easily rot if the soil holds too much water. Most seedlings can benefit from a free-draining soil. As Al said there is much information available on this topic over in the Growing in Containers forum.

Personally I grow my seedlings in very small containers then transplant them to larger containers as needed.

o

One would think that if a pot could be too large then any seedling that started from a seed that had fallen in the wild would be in trouble. Probably most seedlings from seeds that fall in the wild are, in fact, in trouble but some make it anyway.

o

It is not appropriate to compare seedlings in the ground to seedling in a container. Al

o

Indoor-grown seedlings also have to contend with limited air circulation, which together with soil that stays damp too long (because there are few roots to take it up) promotes damping off and other diseases.

The dangers of transplanting to too large a pot can be exaggerated (especially with fast-growing plants like peppers and tomatoes), but I wouldn't try starting them out in a 12" pot unless I used a very free-draining mix and had good light and air movement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here