Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

wind protection

njitgrad
10 years ago

I am looking for a simple wind protection system that I can place on my deck (and secure to my railings) for hardening off my seedlings this season. All of my seedlings will fit in six 1020 trays. Does this mini greenhouse look like something that would work for me?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated but it has to be something that is relatively easy to setup and put away when done hardening. Not looking to build something either (I have too many other ongoing projects).

Here is a link that might be useful: Mini Greenhouse

This post was edited by njitgrad on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 10:20

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Something like that would work but it will also shade the plants, retard air circulation, and trap heat. Those issues can create additional problems.

Assuming you have a predominant wind direction as most of us do then any simple wind block placed between the plants and that direction will work and won't create additional problems. Anything from tacked/taped down plastic/tarp to the deck rail to a sheet of 1/4" plywood works and for much less cost.

Dave

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice Dave. Maybe I can make a hexagon (or rectangular) shaped pen out of an extra set of child safety fences and secure some sort of mesh screening to allow filtered air to pass. The pen will not collapse on very windy days because the six panels are connected to one another (as long as I connect the first panel to the last).

Should I consider making some sort of a roof using the same mesh material so that filtered, and not direct, sunlight reaches my seedlings?

If above sounds logical, do you have any suggestions for specific mesh material?

Thanks again.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Black fiberglass screen material works well. That is what the 3 sided annex of my GH is made out of for hardening off. Roof is the same material. Shade fabric is another possibility. Comes in various degrees of shading.

Even cheaper is the bulk rolls of 3-4 ml clear/white plastic you can buy at any home imp. center. Tack it to the framework and top then just slice some long vertical slits in it to break up the wind but allow air circulation.

Some even use a big cardboard box with some openings cut into the sides and top (picture a square upside down laundry basket).

Whether it needs a top depends on where you set it up. You don't want direct overhead sun on them so you have to note the sun pattern over the deck and set it where it is hit with only indirect sun if possible,

Dave

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does anyone know if shade fabric be bought locally? Or is this something you need to purchase from a grower supply site?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Locally here - the big box stores like HD and Lowe's carry both shade fabric and fiberglass screening. So does our Ace hardware as well as Walmart. All depends on what the local demand for it is.

Dave