Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tangelo question

Posted by new2gardening OK (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 20, 05 at 10:09

Hello everyone. As my name states, I am new to gardening and GardenWeb. I have found some interesting forums on this site, especially this one.

My question: Tangelo. I planted some seeds, just for fun and they came up. However it seems they are very slow growing. I planted them earlier in the spring of this year and they are just over an inch tall. Is this normal? Are they slow growers? If not, what should I be doing? I put them in plain 'ol potting soil and they stayed outside during the summer and now they are in my garage under a grow light.

If I should be blessed enough to get a nice plant out of this, tell me what I should expect, as far as fruit. Is this too much to expect? Not Tangelos, right? I am 50 years old, so can I expect something in this lifetime, (smile)?

Ok, this turned out to be seven questions. I'm sorry. I am "woman" and from NJ (giggle), so if I am accepted on this forum you can expect this in the future. Everyone here in OK keeps asking if all NJ women are so full of questions. But, I smile and say, how else can I learn.

Jill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tangelo question

Welcome to a great pastime/ & yes the slow growth may be normal but should speed up... fertilizing & insuring have well drained soil & keep soil damp not wet helps. Most of the seedlings should be 1 foot after 18 months....
Expect the fruit will not be fit for consumpation BUT there always plesant surpises.

o

Not so sure about tangelo, but I'm growing some tangerines from seed (regular store-bought tangerines). Germinated them in a baggie (about 2 days) and planted them about a week ago. Seedlings already one inch tall. I know tangelos are a hybrid, but it doesn't seem that they would take that much longer than a regular tangerine. I would just love to see tangerine blossoms...even with no fruit!
Carol

o

According to what I've read on the web, most citrus will grow true from seed.

http://www.ultimatecitrus.com/pdf/tncitrus.htm
http://www.hortnet.co.nz/publications/science/kk0991.htm

However, it can take 5-8 years to prouce fruit. Also, from what I've read citrus don't fruit until they've reached a certain number of buds away from the seed. (There's some threads in the Citrus forum that talk about this.) IAE, if you're growing it in a pot, and hence pruning it to keep it small, you'll probably never get fruit on it. If you want fruit you're better off buying a grafted tree that's already bearing.

You might also post your questions on the Citrus forum, as there are lots of folks who hybridize citrus and grow it from seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Forum

o

Thanks all.

"hamilmk", my Tangelo is in a pot now and I guess I should keep changing pots as it grows? I don't think I will put it in the ground yet as I don't know if I will stay in this location. I don't see pruning it unless I don't like the shape, but this is a long way off I would suppose.

As far as fruit, I will not expect anything, however I would be delighted if it would produce just one of something. I planted these little seeds after eating a Tangelo with an office lunch. I got little encouragement, for its success, from co-workers but all the "negative nellies" were put in place when it popped it's little head out of the cup full of potting soil. I got three. One died, another looks sick, and this one is beautiful. I have grown quite attached to it. Silly huh? I keep it on my desk, moist and under a flouresent light to keep it warm at night.

How will I know when it is time to re-pot it?

Jill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here