Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
does bigger seed = more vigorous seedling?

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 10:51

My question is specifically for large-seeded plants, esp nut trees like oak, chestnut, buckeye, etc, but I presume can be applied to any plant.

Do the largest healthy seeds in a particular seed lot generally yield the fastest growing, largest, and most vigorous plants?

I bought some acorns and there is about a 50% variance in size from smallest to largest. I'm wondering if these larger nuts are the ones I should focus on.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: does bigger seed = more vigorous seedling?

First, "largest" does not necessarily equal "healthiest". Nothing but a very marginal correlation has ever been established.

Same holds true for size of the seed. Vigor of the seedling is equally dependent on the DNA of the seed and the growing conditions provided. Smaller seeds can have superior DNA definition over larger seeds just as easily as the reverse. It is the conditions provided that will make all the difference.

Dave

o
RE: does bigger seed = more vigorous seedling?

Given the choice of seeds, I would choose the larger more uniform in shape to plant. The stored energy in the seed provide the cotyledons or seed leaves as well as the radicle or root. Once germinated and initial root and seed leaves produced, and able to feed the seedling, then the DNA or basic vigor of the species is paramount, in my opinion. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here