Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

buying acorns (Sheffield's, Schumacher...etc)

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

Just ordered some Quercus michauxii acorns (Swamp Chestnut Oak) from Schumacher's, since Sheffield's does not have a 2013 crop yet (seems odd this late). Neither one has the 2013 Nuttall oak crop yet, which is another one I want.

Sheffield's does have some 2012 Nuttall oak seed available. Brandon7 & others here have repeatedly spoken positively about Sheffield's and their seed storage practices, so it might be worth a try.

I know acorns are hard to store, but have read multiple publications that suggest that if stored right near freezing, with a good pre-storage moisture content, that white oak acorns can be saved for about 6 months, and reds for a year or two with good viability. I would assume Sheffield's employs this type of storage.

For anyone who has tried it, do you think it might behoove me to try a sample of last year's Nuttall Oak from Sheffield's, since it's December, and it is looking increasingly likely that there won't be a 2013 crop available from either major tree seed supplier I'm aware of?

Comments (2)