Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve22802

Can I shell out my calla seeds now or leave them in kernels?

steve22802
13 years ago

I've grown calla lilies from seeds several years in the past and normally i just leave the seeds in the kernels until I'm about ready to plant them in the spring. Each kernel usually has several seeds so I shell these out and space them apart so they don't grow in a cluster. I've been doing some seed trades lately and I'm wondering if they will germinate just as well if I shell the seeds out now and dry them. The kernels add (unnecessary?) extra bulk and weight to the mailing that I'd like to eliminate.

Thanks for any advice, especially from personal experiences!

- Steve

Comments (5)

• yiorges-z5il
    13 years ago

There would be no harm to go ahead & shell the seed..... the germination time and % would be the same

• steve22802
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, thanks. I didn't know if it was essential to keep the seeds moist for calla lilies or not.

• woodsworm
    13 years ago

I always shell mine out once they're fully dry, just because it makes it easier to put them in envelopes, label and share. They come up just fine.

• rredbbeard
    8 years ago

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm having difficulty getting practical, detailed advice on handling these seeds for the first time.

The seeds/seed heads are green, and the spathe(?) is just starting to dry out. At what point can I break the seeds apart and remove the kernel? These can be stored dry and cool over the winter, or what is the best way? How do I know when the seeds are mature?

Thanks,

Rick in CT

• woodsworm
    8 years ago

I'm uncertain what you mean about removing the kernel. I bring mine indoors, still together in their grape-like bunch, as soon as the spathe is dry. We have warm weather longer here, so I may be letting mine stay outside, on the plant, longer than you can. I let mine dry, indoors, all in their cluster. After about two months, I sow them indoors with good light. They come up in about a month and look like grass. The seed ( looks like a grape in a bunch of grapes) remains intact. It will become the bulb of the new plant and will get bigger every growing season. Mine bloom in their third year. Some people may get better results than me. I sow the seeds in the containers I plan to keep them in for a couple of years and place them to have plenty of room. They come up, grass-like, in the first winter. I move them outdoors, still in their containers, to get full sun in spring. Down here, I don't keep them in full sun for the summer -- it gets too hot. but you perhaps can do so. Keep them watered; I put the containers in a shallow tray to lengthen the water. I have never tried planting them out in the ground after that first summer, but it's worth a try. I keep them in the basement with good light for the second winter and then put them in the ground and hope for blooms the third. This is just "how I do it" in NC zone 7a.

There used to be an "Aroid" forum on GW That is where I got my first info. I hope this helps.