Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I shell out my calla seeds now or leave them in kernels?

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 26, 10 at 11:28

I've grown calla lilies from seeds several years in the past and normally i just leave the seeds in the kernels until I'm about ready to plant them in the spring. Each kernel usually has several seeds so I shell these out and space them apart so they don't grow in a cluster. I've been doing some seed trades lately and I'm wondering if they will germinate just as well if I shell the seeds out now and dry them. The kernels add (unnecessary?) extra bulk and weight to the mailing that I'd like to eliminate.

Thanks for any advice, especially from personal experiences!
- Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I shell out my calla seeds now or leave them in kernels?

There would be no harm to go ahead & shell the seed..... the germination time and % would be the same

o

OK, thanks. I didn't know if it was essential to keep the seeds moist for calla lilies or not.

o

I always shell mine out once they're fully dry, just because it makes it easier to put them in envelopes, label and share. They come up just fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here