Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbwire43

Peat pots vs pellets...newbie seed starter

barbwire43
12 years ago

This will be my first experience at starting seeds early and would love to hear some opinions on the differences of using peat pots vs peat pellets. Since I have such a teeny area for a garden (all containers), starting in trays or flats won't be necessary.

Which method is most successful? Is there any difference in growth time...watering...transplanting? I've seen mention of spraying with a hydrogen peroxide solution...what is the ratio and is it used at every watering?

Thanks for your advice!

Comments (6)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

I'm not happy with the peat pots or pellets either one, I've always found them either too wet or too dry with no happy in between for me. If you don't need whole flats of seedlings, you can still use a seed starting medium in plastic pot - plastic that doesn't dry out or the reverse, wick the moisture from the sowing medium - and away from the seeds.

I think even newspaper pots would work better for you, and they break down reliably and quickly if you transplant seedlings directly in those, more quickly than the peat. Lots of instructions online showing how to make them.

If you start with clean tools and pots, sterile medium, and have some air circulation after germination in the area of your containers, you shouldn't need the hydrogen peroxide....

Here is a link that might be useful: One of many previous discussions of peat pots

• spartan-apple
    12 years ago

I totally agree with morz8. I have used peat pots and
    jiffy 7 pellets in the past. The pellets are too small unless you plan on planting out real soon from starting.

Peat pots are ok but the bottoms get soft so be careful picking them up or bottom watering them.

I start peppers indoors under lights. Since I only grow
    about 10, I direct sow right into plastic or styrofoam cups
    filled with a planting mix. 2 seeds per pot and then pinch
    one plant out if both come up. Easy and works for me.

Styrofoam cups are really cheap! Last year I actually used
    paper coffee cups from a gas station. Worked great and a good way to use a waste product again. Just save them when
    drinking coffee on the road. Punch about 5 holes in bottom
    with a nail and you are good to go. No need to spend extra
    money on pots.

• barbwire43
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Morz8 and Spartan-apple...thank you so very, very much for saving me from wasting effort, seeds and money! Having direct seeded most of my life, I had no idea of how crappy these apparently over-hyped items really are. Spent a good deal of yesterday following links and reading which ultimately led me to a site selling cell packs. Towards next season, I'll start collecting miscellaneous little containers to start my seed.

Thanks again,
    Barbara

• mccommas
    12 years ago

I don't like those peat pellets for a different reason. They don't look furtile to me. Use real dirt! I also don't think those peat potsbreak down fast enough in the garden. They are like rotting cardboard. YUCK!

I like the idea of using old coffee cups. Great re-purposing idea.

• cactusgarden
    12 years ago

I have another reason pellets are a problem and agree with all of the above (plus you spend extra on them). I found when I planted the pellets, the squirrels dig them up. I imagine they sense a pecan and use "radar" to gauge the soil texture difference and dug them up only to be disappointed. I lost many babies this way one year and never used them again.

• colokid
    12 years ago

I have used both. The pellets I have had luck with but I have to break them apart when planting. I don't think that they were that tough years ago. I keep them setting in water here in my dry air-don't think most places could do that. I might use the peat pots for watermelons and cantaloup to save roots. But i don't like then cause they dry out through the sides too much. There again they need to be torn apart when planted. Best is those little square plastic that the green houses use.