Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dew101

Looking for help with starting Lisianthus from seed

daleyc
17 years ago

Hey folks,

I've been advised to start lisianthus now and i've been advised to start themn 6-8 weeks befoire last frost date. I've been told that they're not easy to grow. Can anyone share their experience with me? I never see them at the nursery and I do love the flower!

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Thanks and Take CAre!

Dale

Comments (12)

• georgez5il
    17 years ago

Do NOT cover the seed .... soil temp 75-80F & takes 10-15 days to germinate.... then lower temp to 60-70F. I plant 22-24 weeks befor use. in pots, landscape etc...

• gardenfanatic2003
    17 years ago

I would start them WAY earlier than that. It takes them several months to start blooming. I'd start them 4-5 months before your last frost date. I was considering doing lisianthus this year and was wondering if it might be a little late for me to start them, because by the time I order the seed and it gets delivered, it'll probably be mid January.

Deanna

• msbatt
    17 years ago

The two times I've grown these from seed, they took a really LONG time to start flowering. I've gotten much more joy out of purchased plants.

• melrose_jackie
    17 years ago

Definitely start earlier. I'm in Zone 5 (late May last frost date) and I start in Feb. I've been planting for about 6 years. Also, they are VERY slow to start. I find when they get their first two pairs of true leaves, I transplant and they seem to do better. Actually, most plants that are slow to start seem to enjoy getting into fresh mix and will really take off.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I've grown them before but usually end up buying plants because they were so slow to take off. I didn't get blooms until Sept and by then it was almost the end of the season here. I am growing some more this season (I'm a glutton for punishment lol) but I planted them yesterday (on a seed mat) with the hope that I can get earlier blooms.
    Karyn

• daleyc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Where do you folks buy them? My local nuserys have never carried them. Do you buy from catalogs?
    Dale

• melrose_jackie
    17 years ago

Park Seeds and HPS (Horticultural Products) carries the seeds. I've ordered from both and been pleased. Stokes seeds alos carry them. I find Park has the largest variety. Last year I didn't get my first blooms until Mid-July but I'm in Wisconsin ~ they seem to thrive in the hot weather. They are really pretty and I think worth the effort. I've tried the small Blue Chip and Pink Rim (both Park Seeds) and got a lot of compliments ~ very pretty only 6 ". I also have used the Cinderella, the Blue Blush and Hiedi Mix.

• emily4
    17 years ago
  • busylizzy
    17 years ago

Yes, I too decided to go for the Lisanthus this year. Hope the seed arrives next week. I had poor luck with bought plants a few years ago. I use May 15 or so for the last frost date. Hope I am not too late for sowing those great cutting flowers. I start my geraniums about now, and last year I tried something new for moonflowers and they were blooming by June in North PA! Knocked back a bit when I transplanted but was able to get mature seeds and they took over the porch side by August till I pulled them in October still blooming their heads off.

• sprouts_honor
    15 years ago

Today I planted yellow and pink Lisianthus from Park Seed. Years ago I grew purple and white. Have had great success over wintering in the sunroom or attic under fluorescents between 40-50 degrees F with minimal watering. Only major problem can be fungus gnats. I keep seedlings quarantined in a dome until large enough to be transplanted with at least an inch of sand on top of the surface. I also started placing a sand mixture in the bottom of pot to prevent gnats in drainage holes. Using a mix void of peat moss will also lessen infestation.

• rinomanfroni
    15 years ago

I still have to receive mine from Park Seed! "sprouts honor," the user before me, must have bought my seeds first eheh! I bought them on January 27th and the Park Seed customer service told me they run out of stock until February 13th and I think I will receive them really late.

However, I have the luck to live in Texas. That means Lisianthus here can stay outside until mid December, and I will enjoy their bloom this Fall. Then I will definitely collect the seeds and sow them immediately, because I don't want to have another GardenWeb user buy my seeds from Park Seeds before me and empty their stock and make me wait again! ahah!

• sprouts_honor
    15 years ago

Sorry rinomanfroni! That's so weird. Park's charge cleared my account on the 28th. I must have their last two packs. Every year, I swear I'm going to collect Lisianthus seed. But most of what I grow ends up in a vase.