Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for help with starting Lisianthus from seed

Posted by dcrosby 5MA (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 25, 06 at 13:11

Hey folks,

I've been advised to start lisianthus now and i've been advised to start themn 6-8 weeks befoire last frost date. I've been told that they're not easy to grow. Can anyone share their experience with me? I never see them at the nursery and I do love the flower!
Any and all help is much appreciated!
Thanks and Take CAre!
Dale

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for help with starting Lisianthus from seed

Do NOT cover the seed .... soil temp 75-80F & takes 10-15 days to germinate.... then lower temp to 60-70F. I plant 22-24 weeks befor use. in pots, landscape etc...

o

I would start them WAY earlier than that. It takes them several months to start blooming. I'd start them 4-5 months before your last frost date. I was considering doing lisianthus this year and was wondering if it might be a little late for me to start them, because by the time I order the seed and it gets delivered, it'll probably be mid January.

Deanna

o

The two times I've grown these from seed, they took a really LONG time to start flowering. I've gotten much more joy out of purchased plants.

o

Definitely start earlier. I'm in Zone 5 (late May last frost date) and I start in Feb. I've been planting for about 6 years. Also, they are VERY slow to start. I find when they get their first two pairs of true leaves, I transplant and they seem to do better. Actually, most plants that are slow to start seem to enjoy getting into fresh mix and will really take off.

o

I've grown them before but usually end up buying plants because they were so slow to take off. I didn't get blooms until Sept and by then it was almost the end of the season here. I am growing some more this season (I'm a glutton for punishment lol) but I planted them yesterday (on a seed mat) with the hope that I can get earlier blooms.
Karyn

o

Where do you folks buy them? My local nuserys have never carried them. Do you buy from catalogs?
Dale

o

Park Seeds and HPS (Horticultural Products) carries the seeds. I've ordered from both and been pleased. Stokes seeds alos carry them. I find Park has the largest variety. Last year I didn't get my first blooms until Mid-July but I'm in Wisconsin ~ they seem to thrive in the hot weather. They are really pretty and I think worth the effort. I've tried the small Blue Chip and Pink Rim (both Park Seeds) and got a lot of compliments ~ very pretty only 6 ". I also have used the Cinderella, the Blue Blush and Hiedi Mix.

o

This web site might help.

http://www.dontveter.com/howtogrow/eustgran.html

o

Yes, I too decided to go for the Lisanthus this year. Hope the seed arrives next week. I had poor luck with bought plants a few years ago. I use May 15 or so for the last frost date. Hope I am not too late for sowing those great cutting flowers. I start my geraniums about now, and last year I tried something new for moonflowers and they were blooming by June in North PA! Knocked back a bit when I transplanted but was able to get mature seeds and they took over the porch side by August till I pulled them in October still blooming their heads off.

o

Today I planted yellow and pink Lisianthus from Park Seed. Years ago I grew purple and white. Have had great success over wintering in the sunroom or attic under fluorescents between 40-50 degrees F with minimal watering. Only major problem can be fungus gnats. I keep seedlings quarantined in a dome until large enough to be transplanted with at least an inch of sand on top of the surface. I also started placing a sand mixture in the bottom of pot to prevent gnats in drainage holes. Using a mix void of peat moss will also lessen infestation.

o

I still have to receive mine from Park Seed! "sprouts honor," the user before me, must have bought my seeds first eheh! I bought them on January 27th and the Park Seed customer service told me they run out of stock until February 13th and I think I will receive them really late.

However, I have the luck to live in Texas. That means Lisianthus here can stay outside until mid December, and I will enjoy their bloom this Fall. Then I will definitely collect the seeds and sow them immediately, because I don't want to have another GardenWeb user buy my seeds from Park Seeds before me and empty their stock and make me wait again! ahah!

o

Sorry rinomanfroni! That's so weird. Park's charge cleared my account on the 28th. I must have their last two packs. Every year, I swear I'm going to collect Lisianthus seed. But most of what I grow ends up in a vase.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here