Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting seeds over water heater with over head light.

Posted by wertach 7b SC (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 14:28

I have had good success with starting tomato and pepper seed on top of my water heater over the years.

Since I just recently had to replace it, I noticed that there is a lot of room overhead to hang a light fixture that I could raise as needed.

Do you think that the temps would be too high from the water heater or would it be a good growing environment, with a fan to circulate the air?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting seeds over water heater with over head light.

Hi wertach,

Well, usually a little heat is helpful for seed germination but not necessary after germination. After the seeds have germinated, they usually grow better at lower temperatures (about 65 to 70 degrees F.) Heat will cause a plant to grow faster, requiring more light to balance that rapid growth. Unless you feel that you can supply lots of light, you’ll be better off keeping things on the cool side. Keeping the temperature cooler will help to prevent weak and leggy plants.

Hope this is helpful,

Art

o
RE: Starting seeds over water heater with over head light.

Agree with Art.

After germination, that area might be too hot, for the starting container to have contact with the top of the heater. But you can check it with a kitchen thermometer. After germination you will need a temperatures of about 55 -65F. Warmer temperature encourage faster growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here