Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanne_6oh

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis from seed

jeanne
13 years ago

I have a Hibiscus, red with a yellow reverse, that's been in my family for at least 20, and probably closer to 30 years and has never produced a seed pod before. It got it's first one this summer and just cracked open, there are 10 plump, fuzzy black seeds. Should I sow them now or wait until spring? I don't have grow lights, just a sunny windowsill, but I have sucessfully grown daylilies in that window over the winter before. If they need to be stored, what is the best way to do that? You shouldn't freeze these, right? I've got them in a cup right now on my desk, I'm assuming since it ripened inside I don't have to worry about weevils?

I searched the web but couldn't find much of anything on germinating H. rosa-sinensis. Any help would be most appreciated.

Jeanne

Comments (5)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

When you mention that your seed pods are fuzzy that got me wondering. I would normally describe holly hock seeds as disc shaped almost like they are layered. I provided a site below that has alcea, hollyhock seed pod, seeds, and seedling. You will find the hollyhock in the second column.

When you sow them is up to you but no you do not have to sow them now.

Storage is simple, a properly dried seed can be stored in many ways. To dry the seed I would lay them flat on an open surface, on a paper towel or a paper plate. Layering them singly. I would probably allow them to dry a few days to a week maybe even 2. Once they are dry then you can store them how you want. Some store their seeds in the fridge some just use an envelope and put in a drawer. As long as the seeds are not stored in constant temperature fluctuations and not in extreme heat I think you should be ok. If you are going to plant them soon it is not like you should store them in the fridge or freezer. Though if you do not plan to use them for about 5 years I may say toss them in the fridge or freezer (I usually have more room in my freezer) once they are completely dry.

My rule of thumb when planting any seed, is to plant as deep as it is wide. Seeds like poppy or other tiny seeds I do not even bother to cover those. I just toss and press.

I hope that helps!!

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Sorry bout that, I forgot the link!!

Here ya go!! This is a great reference site!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Pod, Seed, And Seedling Images A-Z

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Jeanne - Fuzzy black plump - correct description for hibiscus rosa sinensis seed

I'm not deeply into tropicals and the hibiscus forum looks a bit slow (which doesn't mean it isn't worth a try)

But here is the information provided by the international hibiscus group on their seed bank site for the sowing of h. rosa sinensis seed if that helps. I haven't experience myself but it looks somewhat complete.

Here is a link that might be useful: IHS Seed bank sowing info

• jeanne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info on hollyhocks, CountryCarolyn!

Morz8, I checked the Hibiscus forum first, thought about the shrubs forum for a moment, then decided to come here. That link you provided gave me the info I need, perfect! Thanks so much!

Jeanne

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Lol, I am idiot!!! I always confuse hollyhock and hibiscus. Can anyone say, DUH?? lol

Read Carolyn, Read!!

Omit the first paragraph please, lol. The rest still applies even for a hardy or tropical hibiscus, accept for the page location on the web page I posted. :D