Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acorns, asymmetry, and seedling variation

Posted by Weberriver none (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 14:31

I'm growing oaks for the first time this winter (Quercus gambelii). Since it was a spur-of-the-moment decision, I didn't gather the acorns until quite late in the season, and most were already rotten. But I did manage to find two viable ones which are now growing like mad. :) I've noticed several things so far:

1. Out of all the acorns I sifted through, a good number of them had very asymmetrical cotyledons.

2. One of my seedlings (from the larger acorn) is symmetrical, while the other one was very asymmetrical and small (about half the size of the other). Yet it is the latter acorn that is currently showing the most vigor as a seedling.

3. Between the two seedlings, there's quite a bit of variation.

a. The larger symmetrical acorn was the first to sprout, yet it is slower to grow compared to its "cousin." At 20 days old, its taproot is still not visible through the clear cup that it is planted in. Its first leaves are still forming in the bud, and its stem is covered in four stipules(?), including two at the base.

b. The smaller asymmetrical acorn is three days younger than the other one, but its taproot has already outgrown its first planter, therefore necessitating that it be repotted. Its stem is about a quarter of an inch longer than the other one's, and its first true leaves are now unfolding. It also has fewer stipules(?) on the stem, only two, and does not have any at the base.

There's no real question attached, I just feel like sharing my experience so far. :) It's very interesting to watch these two individuals develop! Oh, and I should note that they come from two different Gambel oak trees -- hence why I've chosen to call them "cousins" and not "siblings."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acorns, asymmetry, and seedling variation

When you repot your oak seedling, you can prune the taproot to encourage a more branched root system. This will help it develop more appropriately for it's temporary home in a container. I like to hold my acorns over in the frig and sow them closer to spring, or, winter sow them so that they sprout topgrowth at the appropriate time. Either way, they start growing in their final location and root pruning is not necessary. But, they should be OK in the house temporarily if you take good care of them. You'll just need to be sure to address any potbound roots when you plant your oak outside. Below is a guide that may help you in your planting decisions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

o
RE: Acorns, asymmetry, and seedling variation

Awesome, thank you, Brandon! I didn't realize that potbound roots could cause that kind of damage later on, very very good to know. As for the oak babies, they're both still doing well, plenty of leaves now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here