Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sowing Begonias

Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 14:39

I want to grow begonias, from seed, for my hanging baskets this spring. I want to start them in January, on heat mats that are placed in a large, north facing window that gets sun from dawn to around 11 and light from then until around 5-6. Is this a system that will work? Would like to avoid the fluorescent lights if possible.
Shirley!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sowing Begonias

ing window that gets sun from dawn to around 11 and light from then until around 5-6. Is this a system that will work?

As a general rule? No it won't work. The plants will be very leggy with very long inter-node lengths and weak stems which results in poor circulatory systems.

You simply cannot supply sufficient light for most any plants using window light only. Not only isn't the duration not long enough that time of year but neither is the light intensity nor the spectrum.

Many have tried it and most have failed. If you don't want to use lights then you'd have much better results by waiting until you can direct seed them outside. Your choice.

Dave

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 19:21

Thanks, Dave,
Shirley!

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 10:32

If you had a south exposure (or possibly a west), you could maybe pull it off. But yes, typically you grow wax begonias in a green house in winter in full sun.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 12:17

typically you grow wax begonias in a green house in winter in full sun

Agree but during the winter we still have to use supplemental lighting in our greenhouse to insure full spectrum and intensity.

And we are substantially further south than the OP and have more hours of exposure and somewhat greater spectrum intensity.

Dave

o

Dave is spot on, and begonias are not for the inexperienced grower either. They can be extremely slow to germinate. I'm assuming TUBEROUS begonias because Shirley said they were for hanging baskets. Heck, even in our greenhouses with high tech growing systems, it takes us 8-10 weeks just to get them to transplantable size, then an additional 11 weeks to finish a basket.

o

I missed the clue for tuberous then...I assumed the easier wax :)

o

Shirley,
I grow them every year. Instead of starting in the greenhouse I begin indoors under lights so that I can monitor them. They are not difficult to germinate but as soon as they do you have to get them in good light quickly.
Don't be in a hurry to pot them on. They grow very slowly for the first six weeks and if they don't get the required light they just disappear. Keep them close to the source. Once they get past the tortoise stage I move mine into the greenhouse, but they should be fine indoors too if you have room to grow them on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here