Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ginseng seeds

Posted by little726 z5NY (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 20, 05 at 15:06

I bought some pre-stratified ginseng seeds off the internet. Has anyone ever tried to grow ginseng from seed? Also, what does pre-stratified mean?

Thanks,
Robin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ginseng seeds

Pre-stratified means that it has been given a sufficient cold period for it to germinate. Many seeds require a moist, cold period before it will germinate, and ginseng, I guess, does. All you need to do, presumably, is to put them into some soil and wait for it to germinate.

o

...there are a series of articles at the Natives Plants Journal site: >Search Publications

http://nativeplants.for.uidaho.edu/journal/

Here is a link that might be useful: native plants journal

o

...a few other thoughts pertaining to the sited articles....I do not advocate (in fact,I frown upon) the use of the specific name brands of given fungicidal treatments particularly when you begin inquiries into their specific detrimental effects on soil micro-organisms.However,what is useful here, is the identification of some of the key associated plant pathogens one might encounter when attempting to grow this crop...There are biocontrol you might explore and modifications of cultural procedures to help reduce a crisis mode situation.

o

Thank you for helping me out. I appreciate it.

Robin

o
ginseng culture

I am thinking of developing a wild-simulated ginseng plot in my woodland. Can anyone provide information as to estimate 70-80% shade?

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here