Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mold on our seed germination cells

Posted by ash_of_the_dark (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 22, 10 at 15:19

We are new to seed germination. Some of our cells have a thin, light-greenish mold growing on the top of them. Anyone know what it's from, or if it poses a risk to the germination process? I was going to post a picture of it here, but it doesn't look like I can. Sorry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mold on our seed germination cells

Without a photo, it sounds like you are describing algae. It's not something that will necessarily harm your seeds or seedlings, but could be an indication your sowing mix is either slow draining or too wet.

Topping pots with grit, either chick grit or horticultural grit, may help eliminate algae growth - very few of the things I sow are without it. The soil under the grit remains moist while the grit dries out faster, and it's the top surface in light where the algae can appear.
But please check your moisture too and be sure you aren't keeping seeds and medium too wet.

o

Thank you very much for the feedback! Hopefully, that's what it is, and it won't harm the seeds... It did form on the cells that were relatively wetter. We will use grit in the next crop. That sounds like an excellent idea. :)

o

I am planting more of my seeds in a gritty mix and am happy to get away from he peat which is very good at staying too wet and growing algae. Al

o

A weak solution of chammomile tea sprayed onto algae works wonders. Also, very important to provide some moving air. We use an oscillating fan hooked up to our lighting timer.

o

Al,

Can you describe this "gritty mix" you use for seed starting? What's it made of and what kind of plants are good to use with it?

Thanks.

o

kerwee41 look into the container grower forum for descriptions of gritty mixes. If I use a peat based mix I will usually use a light grit cover as popularized by Ken Druse in his book "Making More Plants". Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here