Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyrose65

Wanted Seed Company Sells Blackberry and Raspberry Seeds!

ladyrose65
13 years ago

I would like to broadspread Blackbery and Raspberry seeds back into our little forest.

I can't seem to google a company that sell Blackberry or Raspberry seeds. I only get plants for sell. Our forest is really depleted because an over populated Twnship. The deer have eaten everything.

The owl moved out. There is a fox. A very pregnant Raccon, whom I've been feeding from a distance. You can tell they are having a hard time finding food.

SAD!

Comments (6)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Trade winds fruit store, and they have free shipping on all us order of 7.50 or more.

I have ordered from them and I got my seeds fast and it looked to have more than what they say on the site. I am going to sow them this winter so I really can't tell you if I have good germination or not.

They have a great selection of all kinds of rare seeds along with a great selection of heirlooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trade Winds Fruit

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Ladyrose, I think you may be seeing a raccoon with thicker winter coat, not pregnant. They normally mate in January into March and have the kits about 65 days later. Our winters are mild and our neighborhood raccoons are born early May.

I'm not seeing any sites for seeds native to New Jersey/East, only those with with seeds native to the Western states and British Columbia. I wonder if your county extension agency could be of any help.

Have you tried the seed exchange for states in your general area?

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks countrycarolyn and morz8. I will check out Trade Winds. I will check out the seed extension.

Morz8, I will try to get a picture of the raccoon. I have not seen it in a week. She looks prego!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

If you are trying to restore your woods to what was growing there before, you'll find two types rubus (blackberry) native to New Jersey listed here - not seeds, just the identification.

Do you have neighbors or friends who have picked your local berries and would have some in their freezer? You wouldnt need a quart of their pie ingredients, just a handful of berries :)

If you have a deer problem, it could be a challenge establishing blackberry or raspberry, deer love both...not the berries, the vines and canes. At least here, roses, raspberries, blackberries are their top favs.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Jersey wildflowers

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's the problem Morz8, the Deer! This has become an over populated area and the Deer have just about demolished everything. Even the wild rose bushes.

You can see the fox scouraging for food!

I can only do what I can.

• tlowery04
    13 years ago

just a thought, but depending on your locality, especially in the eastern states, overpopulation of deer has led to states and municipalities adopting year long bow seasons. If this is private property you are having problems with there are probably hunters in your area who would be more than helpful. Also, some states allow the taking of deer from private land without a tag, something to keep in mind. I am not necessarily saying it is the best option but for most deer overpopulation it can be beneficial to both your tract of land, the plants and animals on it, and whatever crops you may be thinking of putting in.

If it is public land, please disregard most of what I just said. You may want to encourage hunting in the area come deer season.