Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trpnbils

Limit to seed stratification?

trpnbils
11 years ago

I decided I wanted to stratify some peach and apricot pits in my fridge for next spring, but in my infinite wisdom I did this in July.... Now I have 3"roots and cold temps outside. Can I leave them in The vermiculite in the fridge til march or so, or is there a limit to the time before they die off?

Comments (4)

• chervil2
    11 years ago

I think you can leave them in the fridge for next spring. You may have to change the vermiculite if mold starts to appear.

• LynnMarie_
    11 years ago

If you don't mind me asking, how did you stratify those peach seeds? I have some in the fridge in soil in a baggie, and also some more in the fridge just moist in a baggie and they don't seem to be doing anything. What did you do to get roots? Any help you could give me would be very appreciated.
    Lynn

• trpnbils
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nothing fancy, really.. I put them in about 6" of damp vermiculite in an airtight plastic tub at the back of the fridge. The original pits were fairly small and kind of soft, so if the ones you try are exceptionally hard it might be worth soaking it first or filing an edge kind of like you would do for an avocado seed.

• LynnMarie_
    11 years ago

Okay, thanks. I will give it a try.