Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Chestnuts... Help...

Posted by dethcheez Sunny SoCal Z10 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 19:45

Didn't know there was so many different kinds / LOL
So no ID

Picked up some really nice fresh plump ones at the market & want to plant up a few
Tried to do my research before posting but couldn't find the info I was looking for

Nut = Seed ???

Going to pot up a few for the fun of it one way or the other
But was wondering what's the best way to do so

"Guessing" Round Side Down Pointy End Up
Or
Plant horizontal / Flat side down & just let it do its thing

If you have any experience growing chestnuts from the nut
Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanx & Happy Holidays
DC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Chestnuts... Help...

First they will have to be soaked - 4-6 days in warm water. Then the shells need to be scarified before planting.

Check out the linked discussion below for more info. It is about hickory but the process is the same.

You might also check over on the Trees forum here as I recall a discussion about them there earlier in the year that the search should pull up for you.

Good luck.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow hickory from seed

o

• Posted by sandyl Zone 6B -7 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 16:39

My I suggest planting those as far away from foot traffic as possible, The sticker balls that fall from the trees aren't any fun. I build a new house back in 2003 at a property that had two mature chestnut trees and they were the first thing I had to have cut down..The trees were not in the correct location and just didn't work, tried racking up the sticker balls and there was 8 wheel barrel fulls and there was still stickers on the ground.

o

I love to eat chestnuts.
I want to know which season is best for seeding it and Propagate it ??????????
Which country has more growth of chestnuts ????

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Service Toronto

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here