Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Rose from seed.

Posted by mccommas z5CT (johnray67@hotmail.com) on
Sun, Dec 11, 11 at 19:55

A few years ago I grew a few seeds from my rose bush. It was a climbing ever blooming rose and I got the seeds from the plant in the spring.
I got three or four sprouts and they grew about a foot tall each then the leaves started to deteriorate. I guess they call it rust. It certainly looked like rust.
Not one made it. I used the sprays but nothing stopped them from dying. I know growing Rose from seed is tricky but what else could have been done?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Rose from seed.

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 12, 11 at 1:03

You don't say where you had the young roses, what kind of conditions they were exposed to. Some generalities:
Don't overfeed, forced new growth will be more susceptible to diseases. Good air circulation will help. Water early in the morning but only as needed, and if you don't have all day sun for them - place them where they will get morning sun so the foliage is dry from night air as early as possible.

There's a chance you did nothing wrong. Your roses from seed if taken from a hybrid plant or cross pollinated could have just had dominant bad genes and were destined to be disease prone - there is always that chance when growing them from seed that you will need to choose the healthiest and best looking from the lot and discard others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here