Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greenhouse heat

Posted by runswithscissors MT 4/5 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 20:25

I'm starting most of my seeds in my hobby greenhse this year. But I've been confused in past about heat. I use bottom heat to germinate, and then take them off of heat and under lights, plus ambient light, to grow on. During the day temps can climb into the 90's inside, so I open a vent and turn the fan on. At night however, it often dips below zero outside. I do have a heater, but even that only allows the temps inside the greenhouse to get up to 45. Should I put bottom heat back on for the nights? Or should I just let them work thru the temp swings on their own, making sure that they don't freeze?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greenhouse heat

A vent fan on a thermostat would level out your temperature swings reasonably, but would take a bite out of your wallet. Once your seeds have germinated, 45 degrees probably wouldn't be a problem. An old-fashioned hot frame heated by manure certainly doesn't keep the air much warmer in the late winter/early spring. Bringing plant indoors at night would solve the problem, but you know that already.

o
RE: Greenhouse heat

Bottom heat on once seeds have germinated causes all sorts of potential problems so isn't ever recommended. 45 degrees is fine especially if the air is kept circulating. The bigger problem is your 90 degrees inside during the day. Ideally that needs to be kept below 70.

There are a couple of other discussions about this issue a bit further down the page if you want to read through them as well.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here