Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopin4rain

Wedding Flowers

hopin4rain (7A TN)
13 years ago

So I just got engaged and I am planning on growing all of my own flowers for the wedding. I was hoping that all of you wonderful gardeners out there could give me a few tips on what to try and grow. The wedding colors are Red, White, Yellow, and dark Purple and the wedding isn't going to be until the end of June 2012. I have 20 acres of land that I can plant flowers on so space is not an issue, but the entire property is full sun. I need suggestions for any kind of cut flower that could possibly bloom around June and be one of those four colors (perennial or annual). Also for the wedding favors I plan to plant seeds in 150 pots and line them done the reception hall so they will be part of the decoration and then the guests will take them home as favors. Does anyone have any suggestions for plants that bloom uniformly and have lots of blooms (almost like chrysanthemums)?

Thank you all in advance!!!

Comments (9)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

First, a little more information. Which Z7, approximately where are you located, it could make a difference in bloom time. And, would you mind sharing what kind of growing experience you've had?

This type of request from a bride always makes me a little anxious for her - 150 simultaneously blooming lush pots will be no small task. Please have a Plan B at least in mind.

In your favor - you would have this coming June with which to practice on annuals, possibly give yourself a good idea of what could work, what will fit within your time line.

Let us know....more about your climate, my own has no heat to speak of before end of June, and a little more about what level of gardener, experience growing from seed you may have.

• hopin4rain (7A TN)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes I live in TN right along the TN-AL state line. The average temperature in June around here is between 85-95. I have had experience with gardening, but I am definitely not a PRO GARDENER. Everything that I have grown has always been from seeds and I have had pretty good luck with it.

You are right that I will be planting TONS of annuals and even some perennials this coming spring to see how they do. I am going to plant the seeds starting at the first freeze and I'm going to plant a batch each week for a month (also I will start some in my cold frame) and I am going to keep up with the Plant Date and the Bloom Date of each batch of flowers. I also know that the conditions for each year will change when the plants bloom so I will be doing the same system for the summer of my wedding, but at least this summer I can get an idea of what may be available at the time of my wedding.

Also I do have a back up plan. I also am making candles and cross stitching some items that I will give as favors (if the flowers bloom then they will be in addition to these items, but if not then I will just give the candle and bag as the favors. Also if I don't have any flowers that make it then the centerpieces with be vases with colored stones at the bottom and floating candles. I will splurge and get my bouquet and my bridesmaids at a florist if nothing will bloom. This is just my back up plan because I am sure I will be able to get something to bloom.

I also found this website that sells seeds in bulk and since i have 20 acres I can plant plenty of seeds and hope that something makes it.
    http://www.outsidepride.com/seed/flower-seed/
    Can you suggest any of these seeds or any other seeds for the colors and my location? Thanks

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

OK then, sounds like you are not such a novice you would have no idea how much work might be involved, and are willing to practice too.

I'd like to see you get some input from growers/sowers with warmer Springs than my own, and I'll hope you'll maybe check out the cutting garden forum too.

For now, in your color scheme and meeting the criteria for things that will last well in a vase (saving you some last minute detail so you have time for yourself), consider gaillardia, coreopsis, Rudbeckia, echinacea white swan, the red and purple longer stemmed annual salvias, achillea (yarrow, in a range of colors), reliable shasta daisey....for starters.

Do you have something growing on your property now that keeps good foliage for some leafy things to add to your arrangements?

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

Also, grow lots of pretty foliage plants in pots, and if you don't have flowers, you can decorate those with ribbon and a few florist flowers and make lovely decorations.

Maybe it is possible to cut pussy willow, keep them refrigerated, and then force them.

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    13 years ago

It might be a good idea to pose your question in the Alabama and/or Tennessee forums, asking for input from those gardeners who might live near the border.

Also search for gardening blogs in those areas. Look thru their archives for May and June. Many blogs contain pictures - study what is blooming in those pictures.

Best wishes to you - June

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Hazzard seed sells in bulk sizes and so does Swallowtail Seed. They have very specific plants and colors. I would highly suggest growing zinnias because they last well when cut.
    Rudbeckias would also be pretty choices and will last when cut, sunflowers should bloom the end of June for you and the "florists" types don't shed pollen when cut.
    Pussywillows will be blooming in March, so I would not count on them.
    If you need foliage, canna leaves and hosta leaves make unusual and dramatic statements in bouquets.

Another way to start is by ordering plugs. That gets you quite far ahead in planting. Park Seed has plugs, you can call them and ask about what you can order and to send you a catalog. This might work especially well for potted plants on tables, but they also sell plugs of zinnias and things. That will really get you ahead.

• eloise_wills_tds_net
    13 years ago

zinnia's they come in all colors and are easy i had them at my son's wedding they were beautiful i had them in pots and in large baskets filled with them, i planted a very large garden of them but if you don't have the space have some planted at friends and relatives, you can always buy a little baby's breath to go in with them. don't think anything is more beautiful then a bunch of zinnia's together.

• mostone
    13 years ago

For my sister's wedding I made about 75 rosemary plants out of cuttings for favors. Her wedding was in August, but other herbs and especially mixes of herb plants can make lovely potted decorations as well.

• laagarden
    13 years ago

hopin4rain,

You sound like you are very ambitious. However, if I were you, I would definitely order your wedding party flowers from a florist.

I've taken two college classes so far in floral design and have worked at a florist for 4 1/2 months. Bouquets are done one day before the wedding. This would be a nightmare for a bride. You will have too many other things to take care of. Also, corsages and bouts are very time consuming. There are lots of taping and wiring.

I did my first year of winter sowing and had great luck with sunflowers. If I were you I would plant tons of sunflowers. I mean rows and rows, since they are so easy to grow. There are so many different types out there. I had beautiful lemon chiffon sunflowers and burgundy sunflowers. They are annuals. If you grow them this year, you can use the seeds for next year. You would be amazed how many seeds you get from one flower.

The great thing about sunflowers is they take up a lot of space in an arrangement and can be used as a focal flower. They would not be good in a pot that you would give away.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022