Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeds specifically to be eaten as sprouts

Posted by Peaceful_Warrior none (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 17, 11 at 21:02

I've start to make sprouts in my kitchen & they taste great. I'm totally aware that certain plants should NOT be eaten as sprouts & I'm only interested in the simple sprouts like Mung bean, Alfalfa etc. My question is this:

Suppose I want Alfalfa sprouts. Do I need a special Alfalfa sprout seed or can I buy any Alfalfa seeds & use them as my sprouts. I've currently been buying my seeds off of Amazon. I'm curious is it a special "sprouting" seed they are selling or are these simply regular Alfalfa seeds?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeds specifically to be eaten as sprouts

CAN/SHOULD USE REGULAR SEED NOTHING SPECIAL MAY ALSO USE
fenugreek, mung bean, lentil pea, chickpea, soybean
oat, wheat, corn, rice barley, kamut, quinoa, amaranth, buck wheat
sesame, sunflower, almond, hazelnut, linseed, peanut
broccoli, carrot, spinach, cabbage, celery, fennel, onion, parsley, radish, turnup, beet, watercrest, mustard, arugula, lemon grass, lettuce, mizuna, milk thistle, tatsoi.

o

ok. Thanks! Can I use lentils, mung bean, etc that I can get from somewhere like whole foods to cook with or should I buy them from a seed provider? I'm just wondering do those sprout and/or do they treat the beans with something, even the organic ones.

o

1) May use seed from any source ie. local seed store, local food mart or a "organic" store.
2) only concern is a "souring of the seed, contamination of seed & unhygienic production with high microbial counts
NOTE: this can also occure in comercial production of sprouts!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here