Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
columbine from seed

Posted by Hollywog z6soIL (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 29, 05 at 21:41

I am getting ready to wintersow lots of columbine seed and I was just wondering: does columbine bloom from seed the first season? Or will it be next year before I get to see it in bloom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: columbine from seed

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 29, 05 at 23:06

Next year, but they will self sow after that and you'll always have them or their progeny (future seedlings will vary in flower color from the parents)

o

columbine dont bloom first year and they take along time to germinate. started some indoors took about a month to germinate.

o

I have winter sown them and have had good germination. No blooms first year.

o

Two to three years for me.

o

Mine were spectacular second year. So worth the wait.

o

Hi Hollywog,

Wintersowing is great, but it does have its drawbacks....exm. first year blooming plants. I too wintersow, but do alot of indoor sowing as well...this will let me have plants at different stages.

Last winter I started columbines indoors in Jan., and yes some did bloom the first summer....but when you wintersow them, they just won't have the time to get any maturity on them. In fact I was surprised with the blooms I did receive off of them. The two varities that bloomed for me were Mrs. Scott Elliots and Crystal Star. I also had A. alpinum, which did not bloom...but as expected...it was a much slower growing plant compared to the 'domesticated' versions.

But, as others have said....they are worth the wait....most perennials that are able to bloom first year....are 'meekly' flowering individuals....the real show is yet to come!!

Good luck
michele

o

• Posted by robbn z6 Ont (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 25, 06 at 20:18

"...they take a long time to germinate."

Mine took 10 days to germinate using the Deno method.

o

The named varieties of A. vulgaris should germinate quickly, but the plain species really takes its time and is hard to germinate. Maybe that accounts for why some people found it easy to germinate and others not.

o

• Posted by robbn z6 Ont (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 26, 06 at 20:55

A. Caerulea

o

I sowed them this year (2009) in January indoor and under a grow light. Now that it's Febryary 4th I have the seedlings with the first true leaf. I really hope I can get them to bloom the first year. But of course I will keep my plants in a pot with other perennials and annuals and that means it will not be the only show in my front porch!

o

columbine seed needs 2-3 weeks of cold period to germinate. put the seed packets in fridge before sowing and it takes up to 30 days for germination. I also wintersow lots of columbine seeds with good success. It does take 2nd year to see blooms but well worth the wait

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here