Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
germinating maple seeds

Posted by madrone VancIsl BC (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 1, 09 at 23:57

Do maple seeds need to undergo any kind of treatment before they will germinate? When is the best time to harvest the seed? Is it best to plant them outside or in the greenhouse on heat? I'd love to get some started and would appreciate any comments from those of you who have successfully started them from seed. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: germinating maple seeds

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 2, 09 at 3:30

You don't say which maple. Japanese maple will often do best if the seeds are harvested from the tree before they have dried and are then sown immediately (late summer to early Fall), pots placed outdoors. The seeds are exposed to a period of warm moist conditions, followed by cold moist, and will germinate in Spring when temps begin to warm again. You can duplicate those conditions with several weeks @ 68-70F, followed by 3-4 months @ 40F.

Others will germinate without the initial warm moist period, but just about all need an extended period of moist cold (3-4 months) before they will germinate.

o

Generally, maples that produce ripe seed in late spring (Silver maple, Red maple, etc.) do not require any stratification period and can be soaked in water and planted immediately. They should germinate within 2 to 3 weeks.

Maples that produce seed in late summer or early fall (Sugar maple, Norway maple, Amur maple, etc.) typically require some form of cold stratification before the seeds will germinate.

John

o

Thank-you to both of you for your responses. My Acer palmatum is covered in seeds at the moment. I will pick some and plant them outside in pots. I do get some natural germination every year, but digging them up successfully and potting them up is never 100% successful. Thanks for the input!

o

I am able to get the seed to germinate, but they (JM) will dampen off easly.In other words low sucess rate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here