Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need help finding the right Weigila.

Posted by judith745 5 a& b (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 11:25

Can someone please help? Last fall we had the landscape guy pull four ugly cedars out of our front landscape. He suggested that we replace them with Weigilia which are easier to control plus there will be a flash of color across in front of the porch. The problem is that I really don't care for the pink with reddish leaves. I have seen pictures of Weigilia that tend toward lavender with green and cream leaves. Now it's time to plant and I can't find the ones I want. I did find one named Monet that was perfect but it was a dwarf and I need regular sized plants. I'm running out of time. I would really appreciate any suggestions and help that I can get. Thank you. I live in the Buffalo,NY area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need help finding the right Weigila.

I have a couple weigelas but I don't think they are good for a front landscape. I live in Mississippi and they do not leaf out early, and are bare all winter. The flowering period is fairly short. I think you should find something else. I would not be familiar with what works in your northern zone. But there is a plant called lorapetalum, has a purplish foliage year round here, and there is a greenish one too. Flowers in spring. For my front I prefer evergreens or at least several of them with some deciduous because I don't like naked shrubs for a long period. Perhaps you can visit a nursery and see what options are out there yourself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here