Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leslie6ri

Very young pygmy fringe tree in bloom.

leslie6ri
18 years ago

This is a small Chionanthus pygmaeus that I bought last year from Mail-Order Natives. I was doubtful it would survive the winter because it's native to Florida, and came from a zone 9/10 nursery. I was so excited when it began to leaf out this Spring. But I never expected it to bloom!

It's evidently an endangered species. It's native Florida scrub land is being lost to development. (Save the Pygmy Fringe Tree!)

{{gwi:238879}}

Leslie

Comments (9)

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Location of grower irrelevant, hardiness is genetic. Looks like leaves of yours are on the slender side, maybe this is one way this species differs.

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

Lovely.

• jeff_al
    18 years ago

hi leslie,
    glad the little tree made it. it looks good with a nice floral display on such a small plant.
    i gave mine from last year's order to some friends to celebrate the birth of their first child but i did order another one this spring.
    it did not flower this year.
    based on what ron mentioned, i will look closer at the leaf size and compare the width/length ratio to my standard one.

• leslie6ri
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Ron, I'm still mulling over provenance I guess. This is the plant that kept confusing me. It seems to have no provenance; its range is too limited. (Maybe...) I really wasn't sure how hardy it would prove to be. Seems very hardy here in Zone 6. No signs of any damage. --And that's interesting about the leaves. I don't have a C. virginicus to compare it to. Do you have any sense of how big the pygmy fringe tree gets?

Thanks, esh. It was a very nice surprise!

Jeff, I'd like to hear what you find when you compare the leaves. I know mine is going to get too big for its present site. Wish I had a better idea of what to expect from it in a garden setting.

Leslie

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Some plants have been pushed into tiny ranges by factors other than cold. Nature can be complicated. This plant might turn out to be hardy and tractable over a wide area.

• leslie6ri
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ron,

It seems to be quite hardy. Very nice little shrub (at least I'm assuming it will turn out to be little), and blooms at such a young age. Almost instant gratification.

It would be very sad if this plant were to disappear. Glad some nurseries are offering it to gardeners.

Leslie

• vineyarder
    11 years ago

I'd like to hear more about actual experience with winter hardiness for C. pygmaeus. It is federally endangered, so legally should not be being shipped interstate. That being said, I am experimenting with seed germination, but would like to know what experiences others are having. I am in USDA 7A and am hoping it will prove hardy here. I have sandy, well drained soil and lots of sun for it to grow similar to its much warmer native habitat in Florida.

• ermazi
    10 years ago

hi, vineyarder:

I am sure the C. pygmaeus can stand for Z6 or even colder weather. I have 2 plants in Z6, no problem.

• vineyarder
    10 years ago

I've posted my germination results on Native Plant Network's website. I tried various protocol, but this gave almost 80 percent germination, compared to 0 to less than 50 percent for other techniques. It is a species that requires removal of the endocarp, and a double dormancy. Carefully remove seed coat (a vise gives good control), plant seed in damp media (not wet) in a warm sunny spot. After 30-60 days a taproot will have formed. Put into the refrigerator for 90 days (maybe less) to chill. Remove, and plant seeds with taproots into tall plug pots with well drained media, and water in. Keep in a warm sunny location.
    Shoots will start to form in about 30 days.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH