Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivlaw_gw

Butterfly Bush - Adonis Blue

VivLaw
10 years ago

I am hoping for some help.

I bought a butterfly bush (Buddleia davidii Adokeep / Adonis Blue).

It flowered the first year. I've had it 4 years and it does not flower - I trimmed it down every fall but last year I tried something different. I trimmed it down in the late fall (Oct-Nov) to about 2 feet tall. Left it winter - left it taller per a recommendation on a forum and then trimmed down the dead brush early this spring as it began to green. I only trimmed the dead brush.

The thing is it does not send up new shoots from the main bush but rather is spreading tall spikes (photo included) and never blooms. It is in a full sun location, is fertilized and watered as needed. It does get powdery mildew easily and I notice the neighbors butterfly bushes which are not maintained (except for a trim in early spring) and line our back property fence, never do. They also look different... more like a bush than mine which looks like a clump of large individual spikes. Last year I did see one flower growing low from the back of this mass.

This is a photo of what it looks like now (the center shrub) and it looks nothing like any photo I have seen of this shrub. Do I have something else coming up instead? Any suggestions or identification appreciated.

{{gwi:239106}}

Comment (1)