Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdproctor_gw

Contorted Hazel Help (noobie)

mdproctor
10 years ago

I've learnt we have a Contorted Hazel in our rear garden. However it's grown very tall. All the branches split out at around 7 foot. Over all it's about 10 foot tall. I'd like to prune the shrub to make it much shorter over time, so that it branches out much lower.

I've removed all the straight suckers from the graft, that have grown over the years. They were too thick to pull, so I had to cut them. I left one of the suckers which was now very tall and intertwined with the main trunk, as it had grown and finally started to "skew" towards the top.

I've taken photo's of the roots and graft. the main trunk and the canopy. I've also taken photo's of the leaves, because they look a bit wilted - although I read this is normal. But hopefully some one can tell me if there is a problem.

So over all, I'm looking for advice on whether this shrub can be brought back down to size, and thickened out, and what else I should be doing to look after it.

The photo's are here in this iCloud photo stream. The collage crops photo's in places, so you'll need to click a photo to open in slide show mode, to see the full photo.
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A6JtdOXmGElDBz

thanks for your help.

Mark