Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pieris japonica root death

Posted by annapolisplants 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 12, 11 at 9:27

hi everyone,
i bought a pieris japonica 'flaming silver' from lazy ss farm. it arrived in excellent shape, with a good root system. i loosened up the root ball, potted it into a larger container, set it in a part sun spot that i thought was ideal. watered it weekly. during the summer it lost most of its top growth and when i went to plant it now, in the fall, i see that it didn't grow any new roots at all -- in fact the root ball was substantially smaller than when it arrived.
what did i do wrong? i seem to lose rhododendrons like this too. does anyone know what i should do NOW to encourage the plant to live?
thanks so much, fellow gardeners!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pieris japonica root death

I don't think that a once-per-week watering would be nearly sufficient for a containerized plant in the summer.

Another factor could be the type of potting medium you are using.

o
RE: Pieris japonica root death

I bet Rhizo got it. You don't say where you live, whether you checked soil moisture regularly, etc, but I know that if I only watered my container grown plants once a week during summer, they'd all be toast.

BTW, the reason you haven't gotten many responses, and didn't get a response earlier, is that your post is in the gallery section (typically reserved for pictures) and probably hasn't gotten many views.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here