Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengnomey

Attempting to fix hedge

GardenGnomey
9 years ago

Hi all,
Not much of a green thumb, but trying to start to get my back garden under control and the way i like it.

I've had a quick look through the forum but couldn't see anything like my question. But i may have missed some threads so please direct me to something if i have missed it

i have attached a photo of a hedge that i have in my back yard, and i don't know what it is, or how to get it back under control. Preferably i want it to be a bit smaller in width, maybe 10cm less, but i think if i just trim it with a hedge trimmer, i will take all the leaves off, and then i will be left with bare spots that you can see through.

There is a rock garden bed under neath, which i would like to get it back to.

Any tips on how to trim, or even what type of plant it is would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind playing the long game with it (a few years) if it needs to be done that way. I will also try to post another view of the plant.

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

define: There is a rock garden bed under neath,

==>>> not much is going to grow under those mature shrubs .... the root competition will not all much of anything.. but rock mulch ...

the term to search.. that you are looking for.. is REJUVENATION PRUNING OF SHRUBS .... i have linked that search for you ....

done properly... this is a two to 3 year rejuvenation ... and is done with hand shears .... removing interior structure.. and opening areas where light can get in.. so that new lower branches will grow.. so you can shape those... into the form you want ...

just giving it a hair cut.. with shears ... will not really accomplish the restructuring you want ... mostly because ... as you note.. shearing.. only takes the surface .... and you need to remove more than that ...

part of the problem.. is that they were planted too close to that wall ... leaving you with little else you can do .. given the space ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Ken is talking about "renewal pruning" and is right that this involves making target pruning cuts (at a branch union) to individual branches/branchlets with either a hand pruner or lopping shears (for the big stuff), but I believe that is but a part of what you're after here. First, a hedge is by definition, a linear planting of shrubs, usually of a plant having fine texture, which is sheared fairly tightly. Sheared hedges are not "modern", so to speak, but still have their place in today's landscapes, such as what you've got there right up against your house.

To handle this, go through the plants with your hand shears, carefully removing dead branches, etc, but then, using hedge shears, whether hand-powered, gas, or electric, shear back just enough to get a nice clean edge, making sure that when you are done, the base of the planting is ever so slightly wider than the top. This for two reasons: First, if you are in snow country, this shape will better shed heavy snow loads, and second and more importantly, by leaving the "hedge" wider at its base, sunlight will be able to hit all of it so as to prevent bare areas at the base.

You see it all the time-folks thinking you're supposed to dive in at the base, with the resulting dead-looking areas at the base of the plants. Don't do that!

In cold areas, this shearing-type pruning is best done during the growing season, taking care to be done with it by August. You don't want to be going in there very late in summer making all kinds of pruning cuts, which will have no time to close over before winter. So a little earlier is better.

Is that a privet of some type you've got there? Classic group of plants for what I describe above.

As far as "rock garden" I believe you are mistaking that term with the simple use of rock mulch. Two very different things, with true rock gardens being an expert branch of specialized horticulture. Not at all what you've got there-I think.

+oM

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I can't id the shrub (it's not privet as it has pinnate leaves) but going back to your basic requirement of a 10cm wide hedge you are virtually asking for the impossible. (That's about 4 inches folks) There are hardly any plants, let alone shrubs which can be kept that narrow. Those shrubs are already tightly controlled and you'll not get them any smaller while remaining healthy.

If you want to see the cobbles again I'd remove the shrubs and plant something else. Rejuvenating pruning is neither here nor there in this situation.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Heh, didn't see the 10cm width requirement! Yes, that's very narrow. Maybe read up on espalier!

+oM

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

10 cm less in width, not in total.

tj

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

That should be doable-just as I "should" be able to read the original post!

Thanks, Tj

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

+om, August in Queensland, Australia is Springtime.
    Mike

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Duh -- I need to read more carefully.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Looks like Murraya paniculata.