Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Abelia grandiflora and walnuts?

Posted by laceyvail 6A, WV (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 6:41

Does anyone know how the Abelias would do near a black walnut? I have a spot where I'd like to put one of the new cultivars. The deer resistance is a major plus.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Abelia grandiflora and walnuts?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 12:55

Abelias are sun shrubs. They are also brittle, clearing large leaves and twigs out of them might become a bother. Maybe the falling nuts could even be a problem.

Deer like 'Edward Goucher' in Island County, WA.

o

So A. grandiflora is brittle? A. mosanensis certainly isn't--I've grown that for many years, it's not brittle and the deer don't touch it. The spot I want to put the A. grandiflora cultivar is full sun, though it is near enough to a black walnut to be bothered by the juglone--that was my concern.

o

Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 16:06

Not very similar except for being in the same genus. And actually I've seen one reference to the fully deciduous abelias of that type having been moved into their own genus Zabelia.

This post was edited by bboy on Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 16:08

o

Lacey,
Looks like a nice shrub. I looked it up, I wonder if it is fragrant.
I have a little abelia in front of my walkway up to the house and it is doing fine. It stays evergreen, probably because it is a tad bit warmer here. I trim it and it looks real good.
I want something bigger, and I think I will keep my eye out this spring for this shrub.
Looks like a great privacy shrub once it gets growing.
As far as the walnut tree, I say give it a try, and if it doesn't like it, you can always move it.
My little abelia is a Kalidoscope.

o

Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 23:54

If you're talking about A. x grandiflora the flowers are slightly fragrant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here