Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Photinia as Privacy Fence

User
16 years ago

A number of years ago, I purchased a Photinia fraseri (red bud) from a local nursery. They are not commonly sold in my area, but I knew I wanted one and grabed it. (I think they are actually much more cold hardy than commonly believed.) I had planted this shrub back at a time when my winters were more like a 6b climate. Anyway, this thing took off beyond my wildest expectations. It formed a beautiful, dense wall of foliage from the dirt on up. I pruned it about twice a year and in more recent years it even seemed to push growth throughout the year (including winter). I have since moved locally and am looking to landscape with Photina "red bud" at my new home. This time, I would like to create a privacy wall with them. I have since discovered that in the South, they have fallen victim to some quite of blight and on are the decline and less popular than they used to be. (I never had so much as a discolored leaf from mine.) I have found a supplier outside the South and have purchased four (one-gallon size). I will wait till March to plant (despite the currently mild weather). My questions now:

1.) Will my Photinia be sensitive to whatever is causing them problems in the South.

2.) Is there anything that can be applied to the leaves to prevent them from being affected from this disease.

3.) How far apart should the plants be spaced to create a privacy wall.

Much thanks for any assistance you may provide.

Comments (6)

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

"Red tips" is what we've called them. I think you should read up on the fungus issue so that you can be proactive in controlling/minimizing any outbreak.

Take a look at this link and then search for others. This one recommends good spacing, no overhead morning/evening watering, etc:

Space plants to improve the air movement around the plants and promote rapid drying of leaf surfaces. If it is necessary to irrigate the plants, do not wet the foliage or irrigate in midday to reduce the period of time foliage remains wet. If possible, remove fallen diseased leaves. Do not water or fertilize plants any more than necessary to avoid promoting excess new growth. Also, reduce pruning during the summer which promotes continual new growth. Severely defoliated plants may need to be pruned heavily to have a small, easier to spray plant, to reduce the source of spores and improve air movement.

It also provides fungicide recommendations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Entomosporium Leaf Spot on Red Tip

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info and link. Guess prevention all boils down to improving air circulation, and sufficient drying.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Yes, which doesn't support the concept of using them as a dense hedge, but if you're willing to give them a little room between plants you could do it.

Good luck, they can be really beautiful when done right.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

It is also a climate factor - humidity will have an affect as well. Here in the PNW, photinia leaf blight (Entomosporium) is just as much a problem as it is in the hot and humid south, however our humidity is centered in the late winter/early spring months and there is relatively little summer heat to speak of. Areas that are humid and warm during the late spring-summer months will certainly be at risk for the disease.

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, when I heard about the need for ventilation, I thought about the idea of spacing the photina somewhat apart between adult specimens (allowing for free movement of air). That's exactly what I'll do. My climate is very damp and wet (and warm)in summer so I guess I was just lucky so far. Thanks for the advice!

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Occurrence still somewhat sporadic in this area, also have the impression specimens that are less green and healthy in the first place are more dramatically affected. However, a comparatively old one in the Camano garden went to pot soon after being infested and was cut down. Re-growth has not been vigorous, as though the leaf spot infestation really knocked it for a loop - but maybe it picked up another problem, like root rot about the same time to produce a debilitating syndrome.

Anyway...if there is much leaf spot in your region I would caution against depending on photinia for an architectural use (such as a hedge).