Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetybyrd

Wanting a shrub, help

Sweetybyrd
9 years ago

Hi we bought our first home about a year ago and I am eager to start planting! I am totally new to gardening. But our builder planted, around the front of our house under the windows, a small shrub? I thought maybe azalea but its never flowered. I've noticed neighbors with beautiful bushes and I was thinking of replacing these little things. I would like something that will mature to 3-4 foot, and either have nice broad leaves or turn red with the seasons (or both). I would like something strong enough to hold lights at christmas. Preferrably not something that grows harmful berries, due to children and pets. Some of the plants I picked up last spring included rhododendron, hydrangea, lilac and a little rose tree. These have been planted in various locations in the yard and I hope to add. I believe my area is considered 6b, but being unfamiliar with the area I don't know of any nurseries just yet and local stores dont seem to carry what i have in mind. Please point me in the right direction, I dont want to kill of plants with my inexperience, I'm hoping the ones I've already planted will make it through this winter. I discovered my ground is nothing but clay so I hope my plants will survive in it.

Comments (4)