Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crcash2

Flowering Shrubs for Foundation

crcash2
12 years ago

Hello,

I am replacing 6 knockout roses that have been destroyed by aphids. I am in South Carolina Zone 7, and am looking for some alternative flowering foundation shrubbery. I have autumn embers encore azaleas in another part of the foundation. I also have 6 soft touch hollies in front of the roses, so I am looking for something that would blend well with this combination. The knockouts were great, but I have just given up on the aphids and sawflys. I was thinking of larger encores, maybe two differnet colors, but am open to any suggestions. Would prefer something that gets 4ft high/wide or so and is evergreen.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Could you post pics of the space and tell us the exposure (direction and amount of sun/shade)?

Not evergreen (neither were the roses?) but I think fothergilla 'Mount Airy' would look nice with the ae azaleas and the hollies

John

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Here's a link and at the bottom "Group or mass in ...borders, foundation plantings... Mixes easily with rhododendrons which generally share the same soil requirements."

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

Dear crcash2,
    _Daphne odora_ fits the bill. If it doesn't decide to suddenly die, winter daphne will grow to your height and width specifications and is evergreen. In NW SC, it blooms in February and March with clusters of bell-shaped pink/white flowers having a delicious, almost intoxicating, fragrance.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

crash, we cannot help you unless we know how much sunlight this location receives. Daphne, for example, would not tolerate full sun conditions, especially complicated by reflected sun and heat from the home.

Since you've mentioned the roses and the hollies, I can't help but deduce that this particular site is a very sunny one. It would also be helpful for us to know if this location is fast or slow draining. Do you have any idea of the soil pH?

• crcash2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,
    Just to respond...The area will get full afternoon sun. The soil is acidic...hydrangeas are a brilliant blue in my yard and red oaks do well. The site drains well, as does the entire yard. The area is in front of the garage, which is not heated. Flowering shrubbery like an encore azalea would be great, but if evergreens are a better choice given the site conditions, open to suggestions there as well. Thanks for the expertise!

• crcash2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bump for help

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

If you love azaleas, it would be worth a try. You already know they like the soil in the area. You might also look into camellias. They are evergreen and flower when most things are dormant. Again, the afternoon heat for both of these is not ideal.

What do you not like about the fothergilla?

John

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

Just weighing in with a vote for the Fothergilla! The flowers come early, when there is often not a lot else going on, and they are very soft. The foliage is a dusky blue-green and quite lovely, but the real drama is in the fall when it turns a fiery orange. True it is quiet in winter, but you've got the hollies and camellias to give you deep green tones then. I'm thinking that the hot tones of the Fothergilla would look great contrasting with the holly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Form and Foliage

• oath5
    12 years ago

fothergilla, leucothoe, illicium. All native beauties.