Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

Need look-alike for Honey Maid Holly

Hi, Everyone

I love, love, love the look of my Honey Maid Holly. Yellowish-Cream variagated leaves with a bluish tone to the green part of the leaf and burgundy stems. The problem is height! I would like to put a holly as close as possible to the look of the Honey Maid in a different area that needs a shorter plant (3-5 foot range). Do you know of a holly that looks similar but grows shorter? Yes, I could keep it trimmed, but would rather just have a shorter variety. Thanks so much!

Comments (3)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

every plant has an annual growth rate.. that usually can be found thru google ...

and no plant really stops growing at some magical height.. most height ESTIMATES are at 10 years ...

its all about how fast it gets to a height.. and how fast it goes past ...

so if a plant grows a foot a year.. in 3 to 5 years.. you would need to trim it ...

if it grow 6 inches a year.. you would need to trim it in 6 to 10 years ...

so you will have to search out a slower growing.. slower annual growth rate alternative ... good luck with that.. lol.. we all have are dream plants ... lol..

my HMH after about 8 years.. in MI sand.. is only about 4 feet tall.. so i am a bit confused why yours is so much bigger.. but maybe its a MI thing ... or my abuse ... [though it was under a carp acer that tried to suck the life out of it for its first 4 years or so ... really perked up.. when i killed the tree ...]

ken

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Not sure how it would do in your zone, but you might look into Ilex aquifolium 'Gold Coast'. It might need a bit of shade in your zone? You don't describe the exposure.

I have both Gold Coast and Honey Maid. Honestly my Honey Maid looks to be a slower grower, but if it does every 'take off' no doubt some simple shearing would keep it in bounds.

Gold Coast is a male, so you won't get berries, but it is a good pollenator for other female hollies that bloom at the same time.

Also, for 7B, you might check into variegated Pittosporum.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gold Coast looks wonderful, perfect height, thanks so much!