Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
estam_gw

Winterizing Arborvitae in Michigan

Estam
12 years ago

Hello all and hope everyone had a great New Years celebration.

I am winterizing my Arborvitae to protect it from heavy snow. I planted 5 months ago 5 plants in a row about 4 feet apart and are about 3 feet high. I ended up wrapping them with a burlap and I'm concerned about them not receiving any sunlight etc.

There is a product which is a green chicken wire made from a vinyl and is fairly flexible, would I be further ahead to use this product?

Many thanks...

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

they dont need light in winter.. they are dormant ...

i would not have wasted the money on burlap ... check out the link and then my second link within

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: my second link within

• Estam
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Ken, I noticed in your link that he recommends burlap on young Arborvitae and I have also heard that it only needs to be for the first few years or so. I actually went to a garden feed store and they had the burlap bags for few bucks, I had some gardening stakes left over so I pounded them beside the plant at an angle so the top was close to the top of the plant thus protecting the fragile leafy part. I just cut one side out of the bag and part of the top leaving a hood that fitted over the stake then gently wrapped and twined it. I built up leaves around the base but I think I might have to get them out of there once frost subsides to prevent browning. Many thanks for your post, let me know if you think I forgot anything. Dave

12 years ago

the key was... you went cheap.. gotta love those farm stores ...

burlap is fine for a few .. when small ...

but when they get bigger.. or you have a larger number... twine is cheaper.. and you throw it away.. storage of a lot of burlap can become problematic..

i think at the link i mentioned a half mile of twine for around $20 ...

take the burlap off in mid march or so ... the worst of winter will be over by then in z5 ... we are only protecting for those few -20 nights in jan and feb .... i will think of you when i drive by some local house.. in JUNE... who still has the burlap on .. lol ...

with the arbs.. its more of a snowload issue.. than temps ... too many arbs sold.. are multi-leader.. and they splay ... in the worst ice/snow storms ...

good luck

ken

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Hopefully, Dave chose/planted only single-leader plants.

• Estam
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Guys, Mine are multi-leader and that's why I'm taking care there wont be loading issue. I haven't seen single, are these arbs that have been trained/cut back?
    Dave...

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Multi-leader stock usually comes from lower-end suppliers (although that may not always be the case, and lower-end may be somewhat relative). Multi-leader plants will probably be more prone to snow-load damage as time goes one, while single leader plants would not.

If it were my plants, I would at least consider pruning them to a single leader. They might look pitiful for a while, but, in most cases, would turn out much better later on.

12 years ago

i would also start pruning them out..

take one leader in early spring .. trust me.. if they live .. they will fill in by fall ... more interior sunlight ...

and if it fills in to your liking.. take another out next spring.. until you are done ...

it will be startling.. the gaping hole.. but from experience.. TRUST ME... a healthy arb will fill in to fast enough ...

the problem is not today.. or all that soon.. the problems is.. down the line.. 10 years form now.. the day after you happen to look at them and think to yourself how perfect they are.. and how happy your are ... the worst snow and ice storm in 10 years.. will do to them.. like the third pic at the link ... and then you have to start over ...

be proactive now.. and you will avoid that ...

the pic.. show how ice and snow got inside.. and weighed the various leaders in different directions ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: third pic