Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prunus Caroliniana Problem - See photo

Posted by modern_miss 10a (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 13:29

The leaves are falling off the bottom of my prunus caroliniana hedge. These trees were transplanted from 24" boxes about a year ago. Not sure if they are getting too much water or too little water. I thought the deer could be eating them but I never see any deer around these plants. Any ideas? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prunus Caroliniana Problem - See photo

transplant shock.. most likely ..

cant go much further w/o a picture ...

insert finger 2 to 3 inches.. is the soil wet or dry???

how big are they.. that they came in 24 inch boxes ... did you amend the soil.. who planted them.. give us more facts.. other than leaves are falling off ... any pattern to such.. like interior leaves?? how do the buds look .... etc ..

and no.. fertilizer will not help.. i do not prefer to fert already stressed plants ...

ken

o
RE: Prunus Caroliniana Problem - See photo

Certainly more information is needed for a definite response, but the most common reason for the loss of lower leaves in hedges is improper pruning. Many times hedges are pruned so that the top is equal to or wider than the bottom. Just the opposite is what's needed - a wide lower portion tapering to the top. With a wider top the lower branches do not receive enough sun and shed their leaves. If the lower branches are mainly shaded they also dry out more slowly and become more vulnerable to various leaf diseases, a number of which can effect prunus species.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here