Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Berckmans Gold Arborvitae & Blight

Posted by plantingman 6b (SC KS climate) (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 14:27

Does anyone know if Berkmans Blight is a common problem with Berckmans Gold Arborvitae in South-central Kansas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Berckmans Gold Arborvitae & Blight

Hadn't heard of "Berckmans Blight," not to say that it doesn't exist around here. I'd be more concerned with Seridium canker or bagworms in this area. Berckmans' seem to have done fairly well in SC KS.

hortster

o

might want to ask the same in the conifer forum ... not many of those peeps hang in the shrub forum ...

ken

o

Thanks. I'll post this question on the conifers forum as ken suggested.
Thanks for the info hort. You seem to be the expert on what grows in SC Kansas. As far as you know, does Golden Globe Arborvitae perform well in SC Kansas too?
I'm planning to pair a Midnight Magic Crape Myrtle with some sort of gold colored arborvitae, which is why I'm asking all these questions.

o

Pretty much most varieties of Thuja orientalis do well here (with the above mentioned maladies to watch for), but T. occidentalis seems to have problems more frequently in this area, so I would lean toward Berckman's. Seems like our extremely hot summer winds and winter droughts affect American arbo varieties more harshly.

The contrast with Midnight Magic crape ought to be striking!

hortster

o

Thanks, hort.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 2:22

Note that the common rounded, dwarfish item is actually Aureus Nanus, with Berckman's golden arborvitae being instead the flame-shaped 'Conspicua'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here