Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katescottagegarden

"Blue Shadow" Fothergilla - major vs intermedia vs gardenii?

A contractor accidentally destroyed my Blue Shadow fothergilla, and is going to replace it. I do remember buying it labeled as fothergilla major (growing to 6 feet), but have since only seen it as fothergilla gardenii or intermedia in nurseries. Are these truly different varieties/sizes, or is there only one Blue Shadow fothergilla? I don't want to send anyone on a wild goose chase if there is just one Blue Shadow cultivar that is (maybe erroneously) labeled in different ways.

Comments (6)

• Bruce_Quint
    9 years ago

There is only one cultivar of Fothergilla named Blue Shadow. It is a branch sport of Mt. Airy that was discovered by Handy Nursery in Oregon (I think).

Many of the cultivars in the trade are now being referred to as Fothergilla x intermedia after genetic research showed that many of them were intermediates (or hybrids) between gardenii and major. Mt. Airy is a hybrid and therefore the branch sport named Blue Shadow should be properly labelled as Fothergilla x intermedia. Only thing to make sure of is that you do not end up with the cultivar Blue Mist which is a Fothergilla gardenii selection and does not have the intensity nor vigor of Blue Shadow.

Absolutely beautiful plants once they get going! Enjoy them but do watch out for rabbits early on!

• katescottagegarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Bruce, that is so helpful! I really appreciate it.

I guess I have been lucky so far that the many rabbits in my garden have not had an interest in the fothergilla so far... I hope it's not going to be a problem with the new shrub!

• jackbe1
    9 years ago

I have several blue shadow and the ones I have planted in a pachysandra bed under a honey locust tree are not growing vigorously. Is it the pachysandra or the honey locust retarding their growth. The blue shadow shrubs I have farther away are growing much better.

• akamainegrower
    9 years ago

jackbe1: Both the pachysandra and the locust are very likely outcompeting the fothergilla for moisture and nutrients. Best to move the fothergilla.

• northraleighguy
    9 years ago

Updating the thread: I cannot for the life of me find a retail nursery from which to buy a Blue Shadow. Any ideas?

• akamainegrower
    9 years ago

Try Avant Gardens in MA www.avantgardensne.com or Broken Arrow Nursery in CT.