Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprinks98

Spruce dying

sprinks98
11 years ago

Have a Dwarf Spuce, and its starting to brown up in the middle. Ive had it for at least 6-7 years, and its never looked this in the winter time. Is it Alphids probably, and is it too late to save it? i can post a picture from a little futher way if needed. Thanks.

Comments (4)

• sprinks98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a close up picture. I have one futher back also.

• sprinks98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This one is futher back.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

With the damage localized in the middle it could be something like spider mites. Damage was likely done in summer and is showing up now. If mites, a weekly blast of water would control them. Do you know the cultivar name? Seems it might outgrow that spot in another 6-7 years.

Also, there is a Conifer Forum with folks who may not visit here and you might want to run it by them.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Conifer Forum

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

based on the kidlet walking by.. i presume this is your front door approach .. i will yell

GET RID OF IT NOW ...

i dont care what happened.. if you can save it.. it will be 5 to 10 years before it looks good again ... perhaps in the back 40 acres.. play with it..

front door.. gotta go ..

and!!!.. get rid of it anyway ... lol

in my world.. warped as it is.. bugs dont really attack otherwise healthy trees and win.. the bugs won here.. but i figure the tree wasnt healthy in the first place ...

an ID would sure help [i am not even sure its a spruce???] .. are spruce prevalent in NC??? where is the sun in relation to that wall.. how bad was drought the last two years ....

could be snowblower damage.. lol.. but i will presume that is not an issue in nc???

it could even be poor planting.. way back when .... you can find that out.. when you dig it out.. and find out if all the roots just circle around and around.. yes.. sometimes it take conifers that long to die ...

i ???? your diagnosis.. w/o a myriad more facts to rule out other problems .. which caused the plant to be severely stressed ...

life is all in the buds.. if those buds are healthy.. the tree will reflush .. but it will still be butt ugly for a few years.. see above re: front door ....

you dont need to take this over to the conifer forum ... conifers are trees.. so the story is the same..

but if you are looking for a gorgeous replacement.. that would be a reason to go to the conifer forum ... you will need to be looking in the MINI category of annual growth ..

a pic of the entire area.. will get you some great suggestions on a replacement [though those suggestions will NOT be available at bigboxstore]

good luck

ken

ps: sharpen your shovel first.. and make sure there are no buried utilities in that bed ...

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County