Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hyperinfinity11

Rooting a Blue Star Juniper

hyperinfinity11
13 years ago

The wind must have blown off a small section of our blue star juniper, because I found said small section several feet away just lying in the snow.(And it's very much alive.)

I'd hate to just toss it. Does anyone know if it's possible to root this? And if so, does anyone know how? I'd like to avoid using rooting hormone if possible, because of the pesticide factor.

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

hey hyper .....

first.. you would ID it as a conifer ...

then you might go ask in the conifer forum.. or try googling ROOTING JUNIPER .... see link

i dont understand what a rooting hormone has to do with pesticides .. but what is important is the fungicide in a rooting hormone ....

it takes a really long time for conifers to root.. and a fungicide really helps ...

the link ought to get you going in some direction..

if you could narrow down your question.. i am sure peeps would like to help ..

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• hyperinfinity11
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. Sorry, didn't realize I had the wrong forum. x.x

• simcan
    13 years ago

Hyper, you may want to check out the propagation forums as well.

Hey, Ken, it is winter, so I will bite and see if a dialogue starts... you always jump on folks who post here about shrubs that are also conifers, as though the two are mutually exclusive.

What makes you think conifers aren't shrubs(or rather, can't be, since obviously there are conifers that are trees), let alone feel strongly enough about it to use every opportunity to make the point? Virtually every definition of shrub I have seen basically boils down to woody, multistemmed plant that tends to be low to the ground. Nothing about having or not having cones, which is the only distinguishing characteristic I know of for conifers.

Not trying to be antagonistic! Just curious. I haven't checked, but do you tell people who post about conifers in the tree forum that conifers aren't trees? Seems like the same point to me. (And directing them to a more efficient spot to post is not the point, since obviously that is welcome and I did it here too; but you are telling people they are wrong and frankly, I just don't think they are).

So, are things quiet enough where you are to get a full response?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Hyperinfinity11,

Cuttings are how 'Blue Star' juniper is usually reproduced. Rooting a section (assuming yours is not dried out) this time of year is relatively easy especially with rooting hormone, a humidity tent (mason jar, plastic soda bottle, etc), and bottom heat. Should be easy to Google for the details. Like Ken, I don't understand your reference to "the pesticide factor".

I don't check this forum nearly as much as the tree forum or even the propagation forum, but if you have further questions on exact details I think you could ask them in any of the above forums including this one.

Simcan,

It's the same thing in the trees forum too. If I had a nickel for every time I've mentioned it to him.....

Earlier tonight, after reading one of Ken's responses in another forum, I was thinking about how observant he was, but, for some reason, I don't think he's convinced yet that conifers can be classified as either trees, shrubs, or groundcovers.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

I only know Ken from these forums, but I'd lean toward the idea that he is being an enabler and promoter of conifers. And in a world where 90% of the population gives you a funny look when you use the term "conifer", that is a good thing. ;-) And, after all, the Conifer Forum and Propagation Forum are probably the best places to answer this, although, Brandon, you did a fine job to get hyperinfinity started.

tj

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

We can't let Ken off that easy. He needs us to keep him on his toes. hehehe